Author Topic: Portafilter Springs?  (Read 529 times)

thejavaman

Portafilter Springs?
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
All of this talk about portafilter baskets got me rethinking my "regular" 5+ year old gaggia filter basket.  I ordered a synesso double filter basket and upon arriving I noticed it shipped with a portafilter spring (bottom left picture on 1st page - .pdf alert) and I have no idea what to do with it.   :o

The new synesso filter basket does not fit snugly into my standard 58mm portafilter and I imagine it's because I don't know how to properly install the portafilter spring.  I tried putting the spring under the filter basket itself, I tried pushing it down a little, etc. - but nothing seems to work.  This is probably a really dumb question, but does anyone have any experience with installing portafilter springs?  Any advice would be appreciated...

thejavaman

Re: Portafilter Springs?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
OK - I feel dumb now, but I figured it out.  All of these years of pulling shots and I never realized that my portafilter already has a portafilter spring installed in it!  I'm glad the fine folks at synesso thought of that for me, because I would have never thought twice about it!  They even included two separate spring sizes (at no extra cost) just in case.  I'll be testing out the new basket tomorrow to see if I can detect any difference in shot quality.