Author Topic: Need Advice on Ducting for Ambex 15  (Read 701 times)

Offline Kifu

• Standard User
  • hekiphaino
Need Advice on Ducting for Ambex 15
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:09:40 AM »
I just bought a used Ambex YM-15. I called Nordfab--the recommended ducting co. to go with--and they quoted me for over $1,300 for their "Ambex kit". This is crazy--I could install ducting in a house for that much! Does anyone know of any alternatives to this?

Please Help!
"Precisely when we perceive that we are sinners do we perceive that we are brothers." ~Karl Barth

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
Re: Need Advice on Ducting for Ambex 15
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »
When I built my roaster I went to lowes and got double wall vent pipe used for gas water heaters, with a wall plate that keeps the heat 1" away from the walls.  I thinks its fire safe but I also believe it not fire code for a roaster, could be a problem if you have a fire.  I do not know if this vent pipe comes in a dia as big as a ym-15 would need.
good luck

Ringo
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Tex

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
Lowe's and HD sell double wall class B ducting & fittings. As Ringo said the problem will be pass throughs, where walls & roofs must be pierced.

I'd find a local wood-burning fireplace store and see how much they'd charge to vent your Ambex. At least then you know it'll be up to local code and you won't have future insurance problems.

Offline Kifu

• Standard User
  • hekiphaino
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:45:50 AM »
When I talked to the Nordfab rep, he told me I would be able to put my hand on the pipe at about 4' up from the base. He suggested not to use double-walled at the pass-through, unless I was sure I'd get pinned for it by an inspector.

I think I will call a local fireplace/chimney place.

"Precisely when we perceive that we are sinners do we perceive that we are brothers." ~Karl Barth

seldomseensmith

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »
When I talked to the Nordfab rep, he told me I would be able to put my hand on the pipe at about 4' up from the base. He suggested not to use double-walled at the pass-through, unless I was sure I'd get pinned for it by an inspector.

I think I will call a local fireplace/chimney place.

I did B-vent with flashing through the ceiling; no problem.