Author Topic: Torrefattore - 1kg Roaster  (Read 2833 times)

bvillr

Torrefattore - 1kg Roaster
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
In the middle of the night, after returning from a dive bar with a few or more beers coursing through my system - and I mean dive bar with non-english speaking floozies, wet cement floors, a pool table with a chipped cue ball and everything - I lowball bid (I thought) on a Torrefattore 1kg roaster in EBay.  And much to my consternation, there sitting in my mailbox this morning was this guy accepting my bid and sealing the deal.  I had just lost out on the Ambex 5k roaster that was for sale in Salt Lake City - and was on a quest to find something to replace the Behmor whose rear end is all melted plastic from an unfortunate fire or two - the Behmor is great - but you dont have a lot of real control and you get timed out too often before you get the roast that you want from some beans.

Anyway.  Supposedly this thing is in good working order.  I have no idea how old it is.  I have seen in the internet that the Israeli company that makes this unit has dropped the 1k roaster to concentrate on 2k and up.  I won the 1k.  I am going to pay 2500US where the asking was 2999US.  I am also going to have to drive to new mexico to pick it up, but thats ok.  I can go visit alien visitor sites or some mineral springs over there.  buy some turquoise jewelry.  sus out other dive bars.  I digress. 

Are these good machines? 
Anybody know of a site where they trade secrets and best practices like everyone does here with the normal brands?
Did I pay too much or buy a pig in a poke? 

I am stuck - I gave my word, but I'd like somebody to call me an idiot savant shopper or a just a plain idiot.  I just gotta know.

Regards,

Rob

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Torrefattore - 1kg Roaster
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »
looks like a good deal to me... its electric (but I will try to not hold that against it).  assuming the heating elements, drum motor and fan(s) are all working you could roast when you get it home (from what I see in the pictures, and with some fix or bypassing of the timer problem) and from there you can modify, upgrade and restore as you wish..  cool catch

Tex

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
I've been tempted to pull the trigger on these, but I've pulled back because of their electric heat. Milo told me once he'd calculated the BTU load for a Sonofresco 1 lb gas roaster and an equivalent electric unit would need lots of juice. IIRC, it was a 20 - 30 amp heater to do the job on just 1 lb of beans?

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
From what I could see on-line it's a 220v, 1900 watt unit...   1800Watts is for the heater.

The hottop has a 750 watt heating element and can roast optimally 250 - 300 grams.

I would suggest that the Torrefattore could roast 500 - 600 grams... but certainly not a kilo...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:53:23 PM by milowebailey »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
I wouuld try it and see.. then if its not got the gnads to roast with AC I would convert it to gas...  not sure how hard that would be but looks like the bottom is all heating element so???

tyme

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:25:41 PM »
How much did that Ambex go for?  Did he have it on ebay?

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:35:55 PM »
I am sure it will roast! Nice find!

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 08:04:06 AM »
I have been looking at this roaster as an upgrade to my Gene for the last year or so.
I will be very interested in your opinions of Torrefattre roasting capabilities.

If I recall correctly, there was someone at CG who uses this roaster and was very
positive in his recommendations of it capability and support, although I believe the
support base is in Israel. 

Good luck and please keep us posted!

bvillr

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
The Ambex YM-5 was listed in local Utah papers and picked up by one of us in the third party listings section.  The guy is going through a divorce and told me he's had it in storage for 4 years and that it was mint.  It went for $5500US to a local guy.  It was a great deal that was lost.

I will keep everyone posted as to the Torrefattore qualities.  The seller seems like a good guy who used to roast professionally for someone.  He had bought the machine to open a shop, but is stuck in some child custody proceedings and I guess needs the money. 

Says he bought it new and put only 40 hours on it playing with roast profiles and bean combinations.  He says the roasts are quite good and consistent and that there is a lot of flexibility through the use of air to modify the heat.  It will take 2 pounds of coffee easily, he insists.  He agrees that the electricity is not as flexible as gas, but that the whole idea anyway is to heat the steel thoroughly so that the cold beans dont kill the roasting temp when they are dropped - so that the flexibility of gas is not that big of a deal.

I will report back once I get over to NM to pick it up.  Actually, he is going to Salida, Colorado on July 9 for the 15th annual reunion of all Colorado microbrewers - they get together and drink each other's brews.  Says it is a great time and that there is all kinds of fishing and whitewater rafting in the area.  He has agreed to do the delivery up there if I want.  I might just do that.  Sounds like fun. 

Thank everyone for all of the support and thoughts.

Robertson

bvillr

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 07:29:16 AM »
Holy crap.  I did 2100 miles or so in 36 hours to Albuquerque, NM over the 4th weekend.  Picked up the Torrefattore roaster.  Met the seller at a microbrewery buried in the back of an industrial park for the delivery.  a 5 piece band playing some kind of new age music.  Great beer.  Great people hanging out with their kids.  the brew/make root beer too.  ... joined the seller and a group 10 of his friends and hung out and told stories.  Very nice people, and a good mix.  Preppies, over the hill hippies, blue collars.  My seller is like the illustrated man - beaucoup tattoos.  Good people.  The beer hit me hard after that marathon drive through the desert.  Anyway, after we all repaired to a chinese buffet for dinner, I turned down offers of a bedroom from several of them and started the drive back.  I got 54 miles out of town and my body essentially shut down.  I always listen when this happens, so I found the closest rest area and proceeded to pass out for 6 hours.  Not from the beer, I might add.  Woke up at sunrise and started south to Las Cruces.  The desert of NM is really amazing.  Craggy mountains.  Lakes in the middle of nowhere butted up against those mountains.  Sand dunes.  You name it.  I suggest it highly.  and Roswell is a trip, by the way.  I hit it in the afternoon on the way over.  Everyone was dressed up as aliens ... this area is famous for their reputed Starman encounters ... and they are really yucking it up.  I shoulda stopped to get a hat or a t-shirt or something.  All in all, a really nice trip.

The roaster is beautiful.  And totally intimidating.  Especially after reading a posting by Bold Java about his profile for the Kona Earth offering.  BJ is Mozart, and I am an idiot with a Stradivarious, or however it is spelled.  After having trained on a Behmor, where my only challenge was deciding between P1 and P2 and how I was going to jigger the system to give me more time before it shut me down, I am going to have to learn the physics of roasting from scratch with this thing.  It does not have accurate temperature readouts for the bean mass, and no matter what Milo says - it produces some serious heat that gets stored up in the steel of the unit - this thing weighs 150 pounds I would guess.  I have no idea how I am going to run this thing ...

A client came over yesterday for a meeting and he wanted to help out.  He is an industrial engineer who now runs a beach umbrella and chair concession on south padre island.  We wired up the 220 - and we got a nice red tool cart from Harbor Freight for the roaster.  We roasted two one pound loads.  I was afraid to try the max of 1 kilo as I hate wasting beans.  I did not use the fan to moderate temp.  I just dumped the beans in at 150 centigrade and let her run.  I did a pound of Burundi that was 2 years old, and a pound of Guat Huehuetenango.  First crack was at 8 minutes and before I knew it I was way past second crack at 11 and 12 minutes for the two batches.  The beans were not burned.  They were uniformly roasted - and the cyclone chaff collector did a good job making the roasts clean.  I am going to have to pay attention and I am going to have to try to get educated.  Especially with the fresher Guats, it was amazing to see the steam pouring out of the exhaust even after 3 minutes.  I had a freaking choochoo train - thought is was smoke until I stuck my nose over the pipe.

The engineer was really impressed with the construction.  Said the unit was really well-manufactured and that the components are what they use in high tech nc equipment.  For example, the motor running the drum is mounted vertically in the back and uses a really nice 90 degree transfer case to turn the shaft connected to the drum.  It runs quietly and the drum is turning at something like twice the speed of the Behmor's drum.   If these things come up for auction, and the price is right - I would say go for it.  You have a machine that makes chingos of heat, lots of metal that stores that heat, a well made solid machine that looks like it will survive a nuclear attack, and a fan that blows like a wind tunnel.  All very manual.  So if you know what you are doing, it seems that you can make really good coffee.   

This post is not very helpful to anyone.  But since I am probably the only person who will be reading an old thread, I am just recording a few thoughts that I will supplement as I try to graduate into a very select club.   

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 07:49:26 AM »
sounds like a great start to a fun adventure...   there is a wealth of info in this thread my limited experience tells me the basic profile is the same.. you have to learn how to manipulate your heat for that profile on your new roaster..

you want to pre-heat to a temp that will drop when you add cold beans and rise to 300F in about 3 minutes.. then if you want to slow down for the caramelizing sugars between 350 and 375 (I would skip this part at first if I were learning a new roaster).. slow down the temp climb at first crack because it will naturally accelerate..  dump when you hit your target roast.. 

I know that sounds simple but between the simple and the thread above you should be able to find a comfortable target profile to aim for.. others will have to chime in with wisdom on how to control the profile.. with your fans and dampers.. 

keep the thread alive.. thats how we all learn..  the next roaster in your shoes can get a lot of ideas from your experience..

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
I hope you didn't take my heating estimate as a negative comment.   I was only stating what I know about electric roasters.  Maybe the energy the Torrefattore stores in the massive metal girth is what is allowing this to roast the beans in a short time, but then again you said you roasted 1 lb batches.... which it should be able to do with the heat it can produce..

I'll be interested to see if it can roast a kilo in under 17 minutes.... I'm skeptical simply based on Physics.

Post some photos when you get a chance.  I'd love to see what it looks like.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
I'm just glad to see one of these "is this no name roaster OK?" threads turn out half decent for a change.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

bvillr

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Milo, when you talk I listen.  Positive, negative or whatever.  And then I scratch my head for an hour trying to get my mind around what you said/typed.  I know I am in foreign territory with this coffee stuff.  Its like flying helicopters.  Its not a natural act until it is.  You and Bold Java are some of the big guys in this area, and I appreciate every moment you invest in passing along your thoughts and wisdom.  Really.

Here are some phone pics of the Torrefattore 1kg Roaster, with the really wierd timer setup that I am trying to figureout.  I have written to the Coffee-tech manufacturer in Israel - but havent received and answer to my request for documentation.

bvillr

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »
one more pic.  sorry about the sizing.