Author Topic: Full House: RSVP Collapsible Pourover, No More Talent Needed  (Read 13412 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: RSVP Collapsible Pourover, Traveling Road Show - Lottery
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
can we put ourselves in more than once  ;D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

BoldJava

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »
You can enter twice, for double the fee, and keep it two weeks.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »
If no one else signs up, I'll take 2 slots.

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 03:22:27 PM »
If no one else signs up, I'll take 2 slots.

Consider it done.  We have been stuck at 8 for a long time.

1 spot remains.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:24:46 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

Full House: RSVP Collapsible Pourover, No More Talent Needed
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »
OK, thanks to Mz James Spain, we have a winner.  She picked, #7.  Lo and behold, Aaron becomes a winner in one easy draw.  Congrats to Aaron and thanks to Mz Spain.

So, send those cards and letters, but don't forget the $2.75 via PayPal to dave at sidewalkmystic dot.  I will get the item moving to ModelMaker once he provides mailing address.

I have added 20 white Melitta paper filters of 3 sizes - #2, #4, and #6.  Feel free to use two of each.  If you run short, you know the bozo in front of you got greedy.

I will type up some directions for those not used to a pourover arrangement and include that in the package.  Don't use the list as a paper filter.  That is what the enclosed filters are for.  Here is the mailing list. 

1.  B|Java
2.  ModelMaker
3.  blzrfn
4.  ReddyK
5.  HC4U
6.  HC4U
8.  J. Jireh's Roaster
9.  Ray T
-----
7.  Ascholten, winner
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:52:30 PM by BoldJava »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Full House: RSVP Collapsible Pourover, No More Talent Needed
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 05:17:24 PM »
Wow,  I wasn't expecting to win it.  I will definately use it.  I have plans for my boat and making coffee there with a propane burner and something to heat water in.

I wonder how this will cup out against a swiss gold... In case ya all havent figured it out already, I love the SG's  I like a bit of 'body' in my coffee which paper tends to filter out.   We will see but I have a feeling this will do good, when I finally do get it.

Thanks again.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »
ok, i should have edited my first post but im lazy.   so sue me.

BJ..

I tried to send you a personal message and was told you have blocked my PM's.
can you please send me an e mail to send the pay pal payment to so I can get it on the way.

Thanks
Aaron

BoldJava

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »
I wonder how this will cup out against a swiss gold... In case ya all havent figured it out already, I love the SG's  I like a bit of 'body' in my coffee which paper tends to filter out.   We will see but I have a feeling this will do good, when I finally do get it.

You may quote me on this.   You will put your Swiss Gold in the back of your cupboard.  My email for payment is dave at sidewalkmystic dot com.  The PM I sent you gents this morning directed you to this post for directions on my email.  I am always open for money <grins>:  http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=12043.msg188100#msg188100

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:50:06 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »
OK, thanks to Mz James Spain, we have a winner.  She picked, #7.  Lo and behold, Aaron becomes a winner in one easy draw.  Congrats to Aaron and thanks to Mz Spain.

So, send those cards and letters, but don't forget the $2.75 via PayPal to dave at sidewalkmystic dot.  I will get the item moving to ModelMaker once he provides mailing address.

I have added 20 white Melitta paper filters of 3 sizes - #2, #4, and #6.  Feel free to use two of each.  If you run short, you know the bozo in front of you got greedy.

I will type up some directions for those not used to a pourover arrangement and include that in the package.  Don't use the list as a paper filter.  That is what the enclosed filters are for.  Here is the mailing list. 
1.  B|Java

3.  blzrfn
2.  ModelMaker

4.  ReddyK
5.  HC4U
6.  HC4U
8.  J. Jireh's Roaster
9.  Ray T
-----
7.  Ascholten, winner

I am going to take these out of order.  Chris (ModelMaker) is slammed at work.  It goes to blzrfn out of the gate.  He can check with Chris next week to see if Chris is ready after blz...has had it for a week.

B|Java

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »
dave... that $3 from packrat at strayclay (dot) com is from me.. sorry I forgot to put user name in the notes

BoldJava

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 04:20:33 AM »
dave... that $3 from packrat at strayclay (dot) com is from me.. sorry I forgot to put user name in the notes

StrayClay, I know.  It is when "William Czarmarchek paid you ...." that I scratch my head and begin the process of elimination.  It's what I get for not having a cart (grins - winter project).

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
This goes out priority mail to BLZFN in the morning.  I wanted to include some #6 Melitta whites for you to try as well.  Snagged a box on the way home this afternoon.  There are enough filters for each of you to use 2 of each of these, #2, #4, #6, ascending in size. They are Melitta whites and you can grab at many grocery stores and ACE Hardware stores.

1. Use the US Post bubble flat rate envelope, over and over.  You can't get one at the post; special order.  The postage is $4.95 for you line waiters or cheaper if you print it on line.  You can drop it in any post box IF you have a printed label from USPS. 

2.  How to make the brew. 
  • Paper filter has a crimped bottom and crimped on one side. 
  • Fold those crimps back so that filter is seated well.
  • Water should be 20-30 seconds off boil, 195-205*
  • **Rinse the paper filter with boiling water and arrange it neatly on the cone** (absolutely critical)
  • Use a ratio of about 1 oz water to 2 grams of coffee, drip grind (strong side - experiment and adjust ratio to your taste preferences)
  • Bloom the coffee.  Just enough water to wet the grinds.  Let infuse/bloom for 20 - 30 seconds.
  • Begin pouring again, slowly.  Use a circular pour, working your way out to edge.  Stay away from outer 1/8" inch (Rasqual, no reading this).
  • Don't drown the beans.  Let the filter holes stay ahead of you.
You are working for a 2-3 minute pour, dependent upon grind, taste, and volume.  Experiment.

Most importantly, share back here what you learned.  What did you like about the cup?  How would this fit into your arsenal?  Can you recommend it to others.  It is a winner in my book:
^  Unbreakable. 
^  Can do 10 oz- 1 liter
^  Easily tossed into suitcase for travel
^  No off tastes
^  Drains beautifully
^  Great cup

I will grab one the next opportunity I have.

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:36:57 AM by BoldJava »

blzrfn

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »
Woohoo!  I had a very busy week after moving the office and tomorrow is our busiest day of the year, "Customer Appreciation Day", so a little personal coffee time in my new office with the RSVP, Hario grinder and electric kettle ought to help give me the energy to rebound next week.  This will be my first true pourover experience (I have used the Clever as a pourover to brew into the airpot at work when the coffee maker went down) and I can't wait!   ;D

blzrfn

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 11:21:10 PM »
The eagle has landed.  It is already loaded with a Melitta #6 awaiting 54g of Yemen Moka Sharasi and 30 oz of hot water in the morning.  I can't wait to mess it up!   :o

I will also be taking it to work to brew a cup at a time so I should get a small feel for its versatility.

blzrfn

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »
Quick review- I used the RSVP twice today.  Once, as mentioned, for my morning coffee (didn't need the #6 filter for 30oz, could have easily gotten away with a #4) and again at the office using my Hario Skerton and Bodum Ibis kettle.  The morning brew I had to use the bottom of my Yama vac pot to pour as I wasn't confident I could control the flow with our tea pot.  I preheated everything and managed to bloom for 30 sec, pour for another 2 min, and finish the entire process in about 4 min.  The coffee turned out pretty good, but with a slight off flavor from the Yemen coffee.  I made a mental note to see if it would re-appear later.  The afternoon cup was 2 scoops of whole El Salvador Las Mercedes Pacamera into the hario set to a very fine, but not espresso grind.  I had to guesstimate the pour volume and continually poured then lifted the RSVP to see where I was at.  Total pour time, including 30 sec bloom, was again about 2:30 with total brew time of 3:30.  This cup had no noticeable flaws so I will either rack up the morning off-taste to too young of a roast or just an odd trait of the Yemen coffee. 

Summary - It makes a good cup.  Better than my other brewers?  Maybe, maybe not.  I do like the mobility (size and material), versatility and ease of use.  I don't like that I can't see what is going on in the cup so either constant lifting or a scale/ measuring cup(which eliminates travel-ease) is required.  Overall I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. 

The big test will be this weekend where it will take on both my stand-by single cup brewers (Aeropress and CCD) as well as my weekend warriors (Yama 8 cup siphon and 6 cup press).

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:18:57 AM by blzrfn »