Author Topic: Brasila portofino del-1 pre-infusion  (Read 957 times)

bboyt

Brasila portofino del-1 pre-infusion
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
Hi all,

I have Portofino Del-1 that I am learning how to operate. I have read that these machines have an electronic pre-infusion cycle but I have no idea what that means other than pre-infusion leads to better espresso. Does anyone know how the pre-infusion cycle works on these machines and if and how it is programmable? Also I have been looking for parts diagrams, operating, and service manuals but they seem to be hard to come by. I would appreciate any and all advice concerning this machine. . . Thanks so much.

Ben

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Brasila portofino del-1 pre-infusion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:06:53 AM »
"Pre Infusion: the act of pre-wetting the bed of ground coffee inside an espresso machine before actually commencing the brew. Some espresso machines do this by using the pump; water is pumped to the coffee for a second or two, then halted for another second or two. After this pause, the pump activates again, and continues brewing the shot. Super automatics and some automatic machines use this pre-infusion.

Another type of preinfusion is called "natural" or progressive preinfusion, and occurs in machines equipped with an E61 grouphead. When the pump is activated, a secondary chamber must fill prior to full pressure being applied to the bed of coffee. This gives a 3 to 7 second saturation time for the grounds before the pressure builds up. This type of preinfusion is preferable to pump and pause active preinfusion.

There is a school of thought that progressive preinfusion improves overall extraction from the coffee
."

Source is here.

Hope that helps.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:06:57 AM »
"Pre Infusion: the act of pre-wetting the bed of ground coffee inside an espresso machine before actually commencing the brew. Some espresso machines do this by using the pump; water is pumped to the coffee for a second or two, then halted for another second or two. After this pause, the pump activates again, and continues brewing the shot. Super automatics and some automatic machines use this pre-infusion.

Another type of preinfusion is called "natural" or progressive preinfusion, and occurs in machines equipped with an E61 grouphead. When the pump is activated, a secondary chamber must fill prior to full pressure being applied to the bed of coffee. This gives a 3 to 7 second saturation time for the grounds before the pressure builds up. This type of preinfusion is preferable to pump and pause active preinfusion.

There is a school of thought that progressive preinfusion improves overall extraction from the coffee
."

Source is here.

Hope that helps.

:)

I always thought of pre-infusion as not quite making it to the men's room in time?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
I thought that was referred to as outwardly fused.

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski