Author Topic: Is 125V too high?  (Read 1409 times)

RobertL

Is 125V too high?
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:22:15 AM »
The voltage is my garage where I roast normally runs 124-125V and while running the Behmor on P1 it runs at 120-121V. Is this too high? I know typically you should get a supply of 120V and I think I've read that most people report the Behmor running at 116-118V. I've always felt like my Behmor ran too hot but I figured that was the nature of the beast. If it is too high what would be the best way to lower it?

Tex

Re: Is 125V too high?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »
That's pretty much what I get too - must be an ERCOT thing? I talked to an engineer at Reliant and as long as it doesn't exceed 125v everything is OK.

One thing he did mention - if there's a disparity between readings at various outlets in your home, it's an indication of reversed polarity. This is pretty common in new home construction (last 15 years) - the wiring is being done by workers who aren't licensed electricians, and the inspectors are so swamped they just don't have time to check the quality of the work.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

ecc

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:38:57 AM »
I think NEC specifies a sustainable 5% tolerance from 120v, (114-126v) with up to a 13% drop or 6% overage for limited durations.  If you really wanted to add a fixed voltage drop, get a nice extension cord (at least 14 gauge for a high amp roaster, preferably 12 or 10)  A 50ft 14g extension cord will probably take 3-5 volts off under load, 2-3v on a 12g, 1-2v on a 10g.  This energy is going into heating the wire, so don't get carried away.  The real way to control voltage is with a transformer, like a variac (variable autotransformer)

Tex, there are a lot of things that could cause different readings at the outlets, load on the circuit and/or leg, voltage on the return, length of the run, gauge (or material) of the wire, measuring at different moments, etc.  Polarity isn't really one of them.

Tex

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
I think NEC specifies a sustainable 5% tolerance from 120v, (114-126v) with up to a 13% drop or 6% overage for limited durations.  If you really wanted to add a fixed voltage drop, get a nice extension cord (at least 14 gauge for a high amp roaster, preferably 12 or 10)  A 50ft 14g extension cord will probably take 3-5 volts off under load, 2-3v on a 12g, 1-2v on a 10g.  This energy is going into heating the wire, so don't get carried away.  The real way to control voltage is with a transformer, like a variac (variable autotransformer)

Tex, there are a lot of things that could cause different readings at the outlets, load on the circuit and/or leg, voltage on the return, length of the run, gauge (or material) of the wire, measuring at different moments, etc.  Polarity isn't really one of them.

Yeah, brain fart strikes again. I was thinking of something someone told me years ago, and I know better than to trust my memory! ::) I can't remember - does a variac condition the voltage or does it go up & down with line fluctuations?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »
The voltage can vary due to many reasons.  Especially in some older houses.   This is not necessarily meaning a bad thing is happening.

The time of day and season can make your voltage swing too.  125 volts is fine.  I ermmm... made sure they used one of the 'hotter' pad mounted transformers to feed my house.  I get a full 240 plus volts on my mains.  By code it can vary greatly, and by what the utilities are doing too.    Even when people refer to it they can't agree.  some say 110V  or 115V  or 120V  sometimes even 125V.

that little bit won't hurt it, low voltage will be an issue now.  The behmore will turn it's heat on and off it's temp controlled so the higher voltage if anything will just make it heat up a bit quicker and the heater cycle off perhaps a bit faster during cycles because of more BTU output.

You can always put a rheostat on it to control the voltage.    Running through a 14 ga extension cord of some length, err these things pull over 10 amps... that's kind of pushing it on the cord.  The wire in it might heat up a bit and im sure would still be in the 'safe' zone but the plug head, those are not tight connections and you might end up with a lot of heat there potentially to the point of melting or hazard.  Id have to say you might do damage to computer components in the roasters too.  you can drop several volts on a setup like that.

If you are measuring your voltage under load and notice a large drop. check the connections in both your receptacle and at the circuit box, especially if you happened to have your house built in that short time where they allowed aluminum wire in it.  Aluminum is very soft and notorious for getting loose hence the volt drop.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

RobertL

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies I have checked several outlets in my house and they are consistent. They usually run 125V in the morning and later at night when I usually roast. During the day when it is hotter and usage is higher it will go down to 120V. Since it won't cause harm to the roaster then I'm okay with the higher voltage.