Author Topic: Cheap eBay thermocouple - got what I paid for  (Read 582 times)

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Cheap eBay thermocouple - got what I paid for
« on: October 24, 2011, 11:17:35 PM »
I bought a couple of these cheap thermometers off eBay and thought I would post about them in case anyone else has looked at them. My opinion is "meh." Not a disaster, merely OK.

First, I failed to notice before purchasing them that the temperature scale is only in Canadian.  ;) I can live with that, I guess.  More significant is that when I tested them with rapidly boiling water (300 ft above sea level) one reads 99C  and the other 98.7C. That's within their advertised accuracy range, but I was hoping for better. Maybe the barometer was lower today?  I also wish I had a better way to calibrate at, say, 350F (oops, I mean 177.6C  :-\ ). In spite of my griping, the price was definitely right.

var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Cheap eBay thermocouple - got what I paid for
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:25:01 AM »
So you think they're great then?

How can you go wrong with reading in Celsius?

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:35:12 AM »
There isn't a switch on them somewhere to swap between F and C?    Most of them have one somewhere, in the battery compartment maybe?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
There isn't a switch on them somewhere to swap between F and C?    Most of them have one somewhere, in the battery compartment maybe?

Aaron
Nah, I guess they weren't intended for the American market.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
I just looked them up, yah a chineese cheap knockoff.  you can convert to F but it takes some soldering skills and a mod on the mainboard.  Probably something you dont want to do, especially for that cheap price.  You can get one from a discount store that does F for about 5 bucks to be honest.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!