Author Topic: Q: Large roasters & small batches  (Read 656 times)

Tex

Q: Large roasters & small batches
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
Say you had a 6 Kg roaster; what would be your minimum batch size? I'm assuming the roaster is optimized for the top end weights, and that smaller batch roast profiles might be skewed and go too fast?

milowebailey

Re: Q: Large roasters & small batches
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »
My 2kg roaster can roast 1 lb, but it's difficult.   1/4 of the roaster capacity I'd say is minimum.... at least with mine.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
I've been looking for a 5K Ambex or similar. I read somewhere on their website (can't find the info now of course) that the minimum batch for the YM-5 is 1 lb. I know my friend Jeremy at Kifu Coffee has a beautiful 15K Ambex. I he told me he has tried ~1# batches, but it was impossible to keep 1C from stampeding into 2C.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »
The smallest batch I ever roasted on my 10 kilo was 4 pounds. I could control it just fine. Any smaller and I suspect I would have lost most control. I talked to Don recently (new Ambex owner) and he told me he has redesigned the machine to resolve some of my previous complaints and it will also now roast full batches that it is rated for. Don't know how that will impact the other end of the roast spectrum.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion