Author Topic: Coffee bench/ workstation  (Read 2943 times)

blzrfn

Coffee bench/ workstation
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
I have seen others post their coffee/espresso shrines and I think my accumulation is quickly outgrowing my small kitchen.  I'm thinking of buying something that is about 4 to 5 feet long by about 2 to 3 feet wide with built in storage underneath.  If you have something similar lets see what you got.  If you have a helpful (please take note of this adjective  ;)) bit of advice I'd love to hear it! 

Tex

Re: Coffee bench/ workstation
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »
Does it need to be on rollers or stationary?

I have several wire benches/carts on rollers that I bought at Costco & Sam's Club. I also have a bathroom vanity base unit from Home Depot, with a stone top, that I use for my coffee nook.

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »
Here's my set up.  Wife picked up that piece on clearance at a local furniture store.  My only regret is there is no plumbing in that far corner of the kitchen (yet).

Bob Feuker

blzrfn

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »

I have several wire benches/carts on rollers that I bought at Costco & Sam's Club. I also have a bathroom vanity base unit from Home Depot, with a stone top, that I use for my coffee nook.

I'm thinking more furniture style, but I'm still in the planning stages.  I was thinking a roll top desk would be really cool, but probably too low to be ergonomic to work at and to small to fit all the toys.  I don't just want it to be a shelf that holds stuff, I want it to be where I go to ponder what kind of preparation I am craving and then go ahead and prepare it. 

blzrfn

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
I'm really diggin' that look Bob!  Perhaps something very similar with some kind of shelves coming up from the back for display of the various presses, vacpots, pourovers that I keep buying for some unknown reason.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

I'm thinking more furniture style, but I'm still in the planning stages.  I was thinking a roll top desk would be really cool, but probably too low to be ergonomic to work at and to small to fit all the toys.  I don't just want it to be a shelf that holds stuff, I want it to be where I go to ponder what kind of preparation I am craving and then go ahead and prepare it.

I went with a furniture look too - Mission style complimented our dining room. I decided that many drawers were preferable to a few shelves.

blzrfn

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
I'm digging both of those setups, keep the pics coming guys!  I will need to have room for a Mazzer SJ, Grimac MiniGrimac (both in the process of "restoration") Baratza Maestro, Bonavita electric kettle and possibly my Bunn and Pavoni PGC grinder on top.  Everything else can go on shelving or in cabinets/drawers.  I would like for my old German and Japanese hand grinders to be on display at the minimum, but I think the vac pot and Eva Solo would make good conversation starters as well.

Excuse my rambling, I'm just thinking out loud trying to spark some more good suggestions. 

Tex

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 06:12:01 AM »
Display shelves? I'll be putting a 31" floating glass shelf from Ikea up next week, about a foot above the espresso machine. My bench is just 48" long and is fine for the gear I use the most.

The corner shelves were from Home Depot.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 08:42:24 AM »
How do you get up there to dust?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »

That's why you have a cleaning service, isn't it?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »

That's why you have a cleaning service, isn't it?

Duh.  I should have remembered paradise not only comes with 70 degree days in January, it also comes with a cleaning service.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »

Goosed.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »
I don't think he gets anywhere right now...
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Tex

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »

Goosed.

Even aggressively goosed, that lady couldn't clear a hurdle - she's the spitting image of Dick Butkus in his prime!

Tex

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »
I don't think he gets anywhere right now...

The cast if off, but I'm not climbing a ladder to dust any shelves! ::)