Author Topic: Making Turkish Coffee on an electric range  (Read 542 times)

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
Making Turkish Coffee on an electric range
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:23 PM »
Way back when I was living in Lotus Land, an old Armenian showed me how to make Turkish coffee.
I acquired an Ibrik/cezve and enjoyed the somewhat exotic beverage a number of times. That was when we had a gas stove. After returning to Texas and now living in a house with an electric stove, an unforeseen complication arose. Electric stoves cycle on and off of their own accord, while attempting to sense the temperature of the vessel placed upon it. This is not conducive to coming up to a point where foam forms on the surface, lifting the pot off and putting it back on a few times. The brew tasted OK but was devoid of any foam for this reason. Any suggestions, short of purchasing another source of heat?

BoldJava

Re: Making Turkish Coffee on an electric range
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
Have an electric range and never experienced what you describe.  Medium low heat.

Froth, followed by a pull, and then replaced on the stove.  Three times.  Done.

You sure your coffee is relatively fresh?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
My electric range cycles the way the OP describes.  But I haven't tried it for Turkish coffee.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »
"You sure your coffee is relatively fresh?"

What do you mean fresh? Doesn't everyone on the Green Coffee Buying Club get their coffee in a fifty pound bag once a year when the store has pre-ground on sale? ;-)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »
I can make a Turkish on the stove but I always have had better luck with a gas burner. I have a portable gas burner that uses cans of butane for fuel. I got it at a flea market for about $10. It's pretty handy for Turkish and vac pots, as well as being a great little item for camping.

I really enjoy Turkish coffee. I just wish the Cardamom wouldn't taint my grinder or I'd be drinking it more often.