Author Topic: Hot water dispenser  (Read 1350 times)

Tex

Re: Hot water dispenser
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 08:04:05 PM »
Good thing we don't work together - one guy has a thought and four more claim it as their own work! Someone could end up getting hurt that way.

I think one guy had an idea and a couple more improved on it.

Ah, the ol' value added ploy?
Is that what you call it when you toot and quickly leave the room?

I never do that; opting instead to give Mrs T that look. ;D

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
so Tooting would be adding to it actually, because not only would it look like an old goat, it would smell like one too!!  ;D
more authentic that way.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
I used one of these for the shop (for tea) and still use one for the kitchen (tea, coffee pour-over,etc). They seem to last well enough for light commercial use, so certainly good enough for cupping. Two or three temp settings, including 195 and 208, so works for me. http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-LCC50-Instant-Water-Dispensers/dp/B000M3DN68

Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
The Zojirushis are nice; I have only a couple complaints.

First, if their magnetic power cord comes unplugged and you plug it in, it goes into a "reboil" cycle. Not helpful. Just start operating thermostatically like you operate after reboiling anyway.

Second, the timer. Since this is just electronics and programming, they were ridiculously short-sighted about something. The timer's max is 10 hours (unless newer units have changed this). That's fine for home users going to bed at 10 and wanting hot water at 8 in the morning. But what about office users who leave at 5? Must their hot water be ready no later than 3AM the following morning if they wish to use the timer to ensure the first arrival can do their oatmeal?

I think manufacturers tend to think of home and office equipment as home versus commercial, without realizing that the vast majority of small businesses and even corporate offices use consumer devices a LOT.

Just program the darned thing to allow for up to 16 hours -- enough to let the last person out of the office at night set the thing for arrival time the next morning.

Anyway, the thing's excellent in every other respect for my purposes.

Final note: the first ounce or two out of the thing, alas, is not at rated temperature. that's because it's the water in the sight tube that shows the level, which is not insulated as well as the reservoir. Technically, you might want to let that first couple ounces coming out dump into a tray or something under the spout if you're a purist about temps for brewing. On the other hand, if you think the 208 is a bit high for coffee (indeed it is), that extra bit of coolness probably balances things a bit.