Author Topic: Iberital 1GR HX 6 lit - 1st time rebuid, learning exercise, backup machine build  (Read 1282 times)

smico

Last week we had major failure of my Brewtus III.  Machine was engulfed in steam cloud, like steam locomotive in full power...  It was caused by my negligence; vacuum breaker was hissing for the last few months, and mineral buildup finally caused the valve to get stuck.  Luckily I was close to pull the plug, and it was an easy fix.  Then I realized that I need to build backup machine.

I started looking for $30 Gaggia, to install all Tex’s mods on it, but Iberital popped up on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist).  Commercial HX machine made by company that built most of the parts for the Brewtus.  $250 offer was accepted, and here it is Iberital 1GR, automatic HX machine, 6 liters boiler, rotary pump.  Steaming wand and all steaming connections are missing.
This will be learning exercise for me.

Rebuild link on HB: http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/iberital-1gr-parts-t19898.html

Machine seems to be maintained ok.  I see teflon tape on several valves.

smico

Citric acid is wonder...

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Nice start smico!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

smico

When I compare Brewtus and Iberital, first obvious difference is space.
Brewtus is so tightly packed, no wonder we all have similar problems after few years, mainly due to long term high temperature exposure.
in commercial machine, every cable that runs close to the boilers has protective sleeves.
I will keep in mind to search for a good source of some high temperature silicone coated sleeves and protect cables in Brewtus.

BoldJava

6 liters!  You will have to get up an hour earlier to preheat it <grins>.

smico

Runs 24/7  8)

Offline mp

• Standard User
Runs 24/7  8)

Doesn't that concern you about the amount of electricity you would be consuming having it run 24/7?

???
lp, 7-Ski

smico

One of the perks leaving in Quebec, is cheap electricity. I mean, I pay it through taxes of course.
But in reality, this will be backup machine, or I will flip it once restored.
Or I might install it at work for my coffee club.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:09:15 AM by smico »

Offline mp

• Standard User
I see.

With dancing McGuinty in Ontario we pay through the roof for electricity. Contributing factors given are the debt retirement surcharges for Ontario hydro and smart meter peak time charges.

::)
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

Great find!  Looks to be in good shape.

Steaming wand and all steaming connections are missing.

Orphan Espresso carries most of the metric copper tubing and fittings.  The Steam valve is, I think, the same as a Futurmat... espressoparts has them for $95 without the knob...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:43:18 AM by milowebailey »

smico

Thanks for the info Larry.  I will have to find some nice matching knobs.
It was running in some local company and they had maintenance contract.
Looks really well.

smico

Wow. This looks cool. Thanks Dave.

Offline mp

• Standard User
lp, 7-Ski