Author Topic: Able Company Disc Fine Aeropress Filter  (Read 3812 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Able Company Disc Fine Aeropress Filter
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 06:56:17 PM »
I'll have to check out CG again - oops, forgot, they're blocking me.
One site's trouble making troll is another sites loveable (but banned) curmudgeon.   ;D

It's only because of guys like you who goad Tex, and misunderstand Tex, and don't give Tex the respect he deserves, that he acts out around here.  Some of us truly give the venerable veteran the honor he's due, and if we all did, we'd see the kinder, gentler Tex he wants to reveal.

;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

EricBNC

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »
I'll have to check out CG again - oops, forgot, they're blocking me.

There's a story in there somewhere...

jbviau

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »
Tex, jbviau: AGAIN with the links. In order for you:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/268740#268740
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/268478#268478
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/268745#268745

Thanks. I'd missed the pic of your modded cap when I skimmed that humongous thread before. I read a few pages downstream from each of the posts you highlighted and still came away unclear as to whether or not the poly filter experiments you described were done using the modded cap. Would you mind clarifying?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:42:57 PM by jbviau »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
No, poly filter experiments with the modded cap would be moot. Poly is a depth filter, which partly defeats the cap's design flaw because lateral flow is possible in such felts. The 68% obstruction issue is only relevant with paper or metal -- surface filters. Or better said, surface filters are far and above the first candidates for concern with regard to effect of the flaw on flow through such filters where they're pressed up against the cap surface.

To this day, I esteem poly as the ideal filter for the Aero. It's ideally suited to a method that finishes under pressure. But I don't think it would be practical on the market. It's too expensive to use only once (if one makes a habit of that), and it's troublesome to clean.

I also used the material for a couple years in large manual pourovers. It's stellar if you like oils in the cup (other than flow rate, its other virtue). But that's REALLY impractical to clean.

EricBNC

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:01 AM »
I looked at those links too - can you tell us what improvement this exercise produces in the cup?

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
The mod itself has no consequence in the cup. It just removes a variable constraint. Increased flow just means you can go with a finer grind, or press more quickly, or avoid filter stalls if your grinder generates dust, and so forth.

One consequence of the finer grind benefit is related to the "redeems a whirly" thing with the Aeropress. That's true anyway -- but it makes extraction termination a bit quicker when you have three times the surface area to press through. Perhaps part of the reason I value this is because in addition to its virtue of passing oil, the poly felt has just spoiled me with its flow rate. Getting that flow rate for paper is only possible by decreasing the proportion of that paper in pressed contact with un-holed (think Shakespeare, here, and pronounce it "un-hole-ed" ;-) plastic. The popularity of metal filters as their pore size decreases I take as a good thing -- but they're still surface filters. I'm painfully aware of this because of the huge difference between surface and depth filters ESPECIALLY when pressed against surfaces that rob them of their full surface area.

This won't make any cups you're already doing taste better, as far as I can tell. It just gives people with different constraints, wider latitude.

note: I always vacillate between schools of thought with the Aeropress regarding grind size. I rarely use poly of late (and mostly use dripper of late, anyway), but here at the office I just now went and made a poly press (inverted to get max oils) of a good Harrar. I used a whirly, ground quite fine (I usually use burr, and coarser). I preheated the Aero, and agitated the grind really well (I'm erring on the side of over-extraction lately). The press yielded the ridiculous oils (same as this picture of old) I've come to expect from the method, and -- good grief. Best cup I've had of that Harrar in a while.

I really do like the oils with lighter roasts, and I like cleaner cups with darker roasts. I recall cupping some "nondescript" coffees a few years back, though, and their oils made things worse regardless of roast level. How much actual flavor is in the oils, anyway? Interesting stuff...

Tex

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »
Hmm...

As usual, rasqual's ideas about filtration, and lateral flow filtration specifically, set me to thinking (a risky thing).

1st thought: Coffee grounds aren't stacked linearly in the filter; that is, water flows in all directions as it passes through the grounds. That means the exit holes and their arrangement is moot, as long as they're of sufficient size to permit a rapid flow when the plunger is depressed.

2nd thought: I question whether further lateral flow of coffee after it enters the filter serves any purpose, other than possibly correcting for a bad grinder that creates too many fines. It's been my experience that, regardless of brewing method used, properly ground coffee is more important than filtering devices.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
Yer showin' a good novice understanding of the issues. Keep thinkin' dangerously.      ;)

And amen to the grind. I want a roller!   ;D

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
Macro photo with front and back light! Beg, beg!    :)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
So, is this worth the pre-order?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 04:56:14 AM »
Dog, I should have mentioned that I have the regular version metal filter already.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:29 PM »
bump    :)

Macro photo with front and back light! Beg, beg!    :)