Author Topic: Espresso Equipment Help  (Read 3195 times)

BozemanEric

Espresso Equipment Help
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:18:05 AM »
My significant other if pushing me to enter the realm of espresso.  I have a hard time arguing with her on the validity of adding another brew technique to the household.  I have been looking at the Silvia, and think it is the best option for us if I buy a new machine.  But, I did find a barely used Gaggia Baby Twin on Craigs that I think I could get for about $250.  The reviews for this machine are VERY mixed.

What do you think about the Baby Twin at $250?  Am I better off just dropping the $600 for a new Silvia?

I will need a new grinder.  Are there any grinders out there that will cover the spectrum from espresso to press pot?  I have a good grinder that covers all the current brews (pour-over, drip, vacuum, press pot) but would prefer  to have only one grinder on the counter.  Most of the grinders seem to do a good job at fine or course but none appear to excel at both.  Does a product like this exist or do you all have two grinders sitting on your counter?

Thanks,
Eric

Tex

Re: Espresso Equipment Help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
The Silvia is a good machine, after you put a PID on it and tune it. The same can be said of the Gaggia machines - for a lot less money. I wouldn't bother with the Twin, as it's riddled with bugs - get a refurbed Classic.

The only grinder I'd recommend for both espresso & other brewing methods, is the Baratza Vario, but it's pricey. The better option is to have two grinders; one for espresso, such as the Cunnil Tranquilo, and one for everything else.

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
Eric

The silvia is good, but I think a Gaggia classic, Gaggia Espresso, Gaggia Coffee, or Gaggia baby are as good with the mods (OPV, Silvia Steam wand).  Look for a used one that works and is complete.  The Gaggias are great entry level machines.  Spend your big money on a great grinder.

You should be able to find a used Gaggia for under $100 and toss $75 into the mods and you'll have a great machine.

Tex will tell you way more.  The mods are very simple to install.

Here is another

http://austin.craigslist.org/app/3133049199.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:39:15 AM by milowebailey »

BozemanEric

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »
I probably should have added something pertaining to budget.  Initially, I was hoping to keep it around a grand for machine and grinder.  We do have a hand grinder (mostly used for backpacking), so it could be used in the interim if we decided to go to a more expensive machine.  Like everyone, I love a deal.  I also have the tendency to replace anything that I am not completely happy with within months.  So I usually try and buy what I want the first time around saving myself the embarrassment and cost of upgrading a couple months down the road.  My personal favorite is the la Pavoni, but I worry that my GF would never touch the thing.

Tex

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »
I probably should have added something pertaining to budget.  Initially, I was hoping to keep it around a grand for machine and grinder.  We do have a hand grinder (mostly used for backpacking), so it could be used in the interim if we decided to go to a more expensive machine.  Like everyone, I love a deal.  I also have the tendency to replace anything that I am not completely happy with within months.  So I usually try and buy what I want the first time around saving myself the embarrassment and cost of upgrading a couple months down the road.  My personal favorite is the la Pavoni, but I worry that my GF would never touch the thing.

A LP lever machine is a great choice for an experienced user, but it's tricky to master. Plus, it's even more finicky about grind & technique than a pump machine. So, I wouldn't recommend one as a beginner's espresso machine.

I recommend Gaggia semi-auto consumer machines for a handful of reasons;
* They're cheap, so if espresso's not for you then you won't have much invested if you decide to chuck it.
* They're simple to learn to use, letting the noob concentrate on technique.
* When modded,  tuned, & used by an experienced operator, they can make coffee that's equal to anything made by much more expensive machines.
* They're the easiest of machines to mod & tune; and adding a PID, OPV & Silvia steam wand adds only ~$250 to the cost of the machine.
* Most important of all: The Gaggia User's Group offers unlimited help for Gaggia owners/users!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:03:43 PM by Tex »

BozemanEric

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:47:40 AM »
I am looking at ordering an Gaggia Classic and  I noticed that they have the Mazzer Minis on sale.  With a discount I can get one for about $520. Would this be a good grinder, or is it overkill for home us?

Tex

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 08:17:46 AM »
I am looking at ordering an Gaggia Classic and  I noticed that they have the Mazzer Minis on sale.  With a discount I can get one for about $520. Would this be a good grinder, or is it overkill for home us?

The Mini was a good grinder, about 10 years ago. Like the Rancilio Rocky it's now considered to be at the low end of the entry level market. Small burrs & too rapid motor speed are to blame.

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:25:24 AM »
If you plan to spend $500 on a grinder find a used commercial grinder and put new burrs in it... You can find lots of them on CL for around $350... toss in $50 for new burrs and you have a $800 grinder for $400.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »
If you plan to spend $500 on a grinder find a used commercial grinder and put new burrs in it... You can find lots of them on CL for around $350... toss in $50 for new burrs and you have a $800 grinder for $400.

+1

Buy the last grinder you'll ever need first!

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »
since you're already used to hand grinding, I'd recommend the Pharos. 

Tex

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »

Yeah, well I was used to Mrs T1 too, but I couldn't have done that for the rest of my life either!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »

Yeah, well I was used to Mrs T1 too, but I couldn't have done that for the rest of my life either!

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 02:02:03 PM »
inconsistent grind?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:12:23 PM by expy98 »

Tex

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
inconsistent grind?

You knew the witch too?

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »
perhaps, mine went by the name of Super Jolly...