Author Topic: Adding Thermocouple to Behmor  (Read 909 times)

SJM

Adding Thermocouple to Behmor
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
Are there instructions anywhere here on GCBC for doing this modification?  If so, a roadmap to find them would be appreciated.

If they aren't on here, I'm still interested in finding out how to do it, so any help would be appreciated.   I added one to my IR2 and built one into my UFO/TO, so I'm hoping this one will be as easy...

Susan

Ray T

Re: Adding Thermocouple to Behmor
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »
Not easy, I think member Farmroast has but Why? No control advantage and it looks like a PITA not to mention you will make Joe very unhappy with you  :), the machine works very well as is.

SJM

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
Well, since you put it that way.... ???

But, the why is just that I relate certain parts of the roast to certain temperatures and find myself curious about what the temp is when certain things are happening.  And, it might affect the choice of profiles:  don't the Ps each represent a different slope up and down to various temps? 

A gurl just likes to know....that's why :-)))))

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:21:14 AM »
I purchased Ira's board to use thermocouples in my Behmor. In the end, decided it did not help me improve my Behmor roasts much. As previously mentioned, you have very little control with the Behmor - you can only open and close the door to slow down the roast.

In my opinion, adding thermocouples to the Behmor is more frustrating than helpful ... kinda like being a one-armed man at an All-you-can-eat buffet. In the end, it may move you down the slippery slope towards a HotTop.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

SJM

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »
Good morning and I have come to the conclusion that you are right about the thermocouple.  I'm just gonna use this machine exactly as it came, maybe acquiring some door-flapping skills as I move along the learning curve.  Heck, it was only last night as I read through a few pages which seem to be entirely missing from my manual that I finally got the correlation between the Ps and the AsBsCsDs.  I had that backwards and all wrong.  Today just might bring me to some better results, although I now have to chose a different coffee since I have used up the first of the 8 pounds of samples.

Onward...

Susan