Author Topic: Disposable french press  (Read 1109 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Disposable french press
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
A friend sent this on to me. Might be good for some lightweight hiking.

http://www.springwise.com/food_beverage/disposable-french-press-brews-coffee-bag/

discuss..

Tex

Re: Disposable french press
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
Another oxymoron candidate: "Inside each Coffeebrewer pouch is a filter with 26g of freshly ground specialty coffee"

fresh & preground?

Back when I was doing a lot of back country hiking, there was the idea that one didn't bring along anything one didn't consume or bring home with them.

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
Back when I was doing a lot of back country hiking, there was the idea that one didn't bring along anything one didn't consume or bring home with them.

Still that way.  With this set--up, once you have finished the coffee, the grounds are cooled.  You chew and swallow the prep/grounds.  Then, you will end up leaving it behind in a usable form or"pack it out."   Your choice.

BozemanEric

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
 I like the idea, but I am not sure of the purpose.  We do many high-mileage, multi-day backpacking trips (16-22 miles/day for 2 to 8 days) and I have yet to find a really good, lightweight way of getting a cup of coffee on the trail.  We have tried almost everything (Aeropress, press pot, tea infuser, instant, etc.) and have been using the combo below this season.  It has been the best overall backpacking brew method we have found.  It is heavier than we would like, especially when coupled with a bag of beans.  The major positives are that it does not take a bunch of room, you can make coffee for a crowd with a dedicated pour person, and it does make an exceptional cup.

The major drawback I see with this disposable French press in the backcountry is bulk.  Weight is one issue, but bulk is as well.  I know that my GF and I would go through, probably, six of these puny bags a day between breakfast, lunch and our cup when we arrive at camp.  Drawback number two is that during fire season, or in certain parts of National Parks, you cannot have a campfires and would be required to pack all your stinky used bags out.  The final drawback, Tex nailed it, “PREGROUND!”

I did pass this link on to a good friend that is a commercial airline pilot.  He is always complaining about his road coffee and has not been completely satisfied with the cleanup on the Aeropress I lent him.  It will be interesting to see what he thinks.

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:41:08 PM »
I'm tellin' ya, not a bad way to go.  Grinder/pourover combo... good for a single cup, small and lightweight.  Ceramic burr grinder.

The Grindripper (orphan has them)

BozemanEric

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
Another drawback, for me in Montana, is brewing temperature.  If I am at a mountain lake at 8000’ the water that is right off a boil is going into my pourover at about 197 and I can usually keep it above 195 for most of the brew process with constant pour, reheat, pour technique.  How long is this bag going to hold heat above 195 on a cold fall morning if the water going in is only 197? 

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
Are you the Eric who introduced me to my future wife 30 years ago?

Tex

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »
Are you the Eric who introduced me to my future wife 30 years ago?

Put down that gun!