Author Topic: Most forgiving pour-over  (Read 1797 times)

BozemanEric

Most forgiving pour-over
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
Less than a week after I preorder a BraZen for my fiancée she expresses an interest in learning how to do pour-over coffee.  I have tried to get her to do the pour-over for more than a year to no avail.  I personally like the ceremony and care that the V60 takes, but I also know that she will not use it with the same care and her cup might suffer.  What do you think the most forgiving pour-over is?  Is there one that she can just fill up to the top and let it drip?  I keep looking at the Clever but I am strongly against plastic for my coffee and tea brewing.

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
Re: Most forgiving pour-over
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
I love the ceramic Beehouse, it's almost impossible not to get a great cup.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Soapbox

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »
Clever filler-up wait and then let'er drip.   What I don't like is the plastic will not hold the same temp as  ceramic.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
Clever filler-up wait and then let'er drip.   What I don't like is the plastic will not hold the same temp as  ceramic.

I've measured the temps during a Clever, and it was acceptable.  They need to be covered during the steep.  Ceramic holds the temp well, but it's also a heat sink, so until you get the ceramic to temp it's stealing a lot of heat from the brew.

Is there one that she can just fill up to the top and let it drip?  I keep looking at the Clever but I am strongly against plastic for my coffee and tea brewing.

Eric, you'll never notice any affect of the Clever being plastic.  Are you opposed to plastic for aesthetic, or perhaps health reasons?  For ease of use in the pourover world, they are hard to beat.

I love the ceramic Beehouse, it's almost impossible not to get a great cup.

The Beehouse, with it's holes, is fairly foolproof.  I have the setup, w/ the carafe/pitcher, but dislike paper filters.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:29:51 PM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
You have many options as you can see here.

You can get as sophisticated as you want or keep it as simple as you want. You can even combine a couple of pieces of equipment for a crafted solution such as a Cone and Chemex, or even go as far as getting a clever or similar and create your own holding setup.

Let us know what you decide to get.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ecc

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »
I think the flat bottomed Kalita/Tiamo style are the most forgiving, followed by the v-shaped filters, then the cone v60's.  The v-shaped (Beehouse, etc) filters are readily available in most grocery stores, the flat bottomed filters are special order from only a few places.

For something different, phin drippers aren't that bad,super easy to use and clean, and don't need paper.  Pre-infuse, drop the top filter, fill to the rim.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »
I think the flat bottomed Kalita/Tiamo style are the most forgiving, followed by the v-shaped filters, then the cone v60's.  The v-shaped (Beehouse, etc) filters are readily available in most grocery stores, the flat bottomed filters are special order from only a few places.

For something different, phin drippers aren't that bad,super easy to use and clean, and don't need paper.  Pre-infuse, drop the top filter, fill to the rim.

<ECC missed the Guat Gesha post...>

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »
For these perameters it's gotta be the Beehouse.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline hobiwankinobi

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »
I know you mentioned no plastic but I would also vote for the Clever. I get easily frustrated with my chemex or vario but never with the clever. Probably because I do not have a 50$ kettle. I still use the chopstick method for my pourovers.

Steve

BozemanEric

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »

Eric, you'll never notice any affect of the Clever being plastic.  Are you opposed to plastic for aesthetic, or perhaps health reasons?  For ease of use in the pourover world, they are hard to

I dislike plastic because it tends to have and hold flavors. I am also worried about the health concerns of heating or freezing plastic. I know they say it is tested safe but how many other things have they said that about? 

With that in mind, we choose the Clever. We looked at some brew videos online and it was the one she would most likely use.  I would have gone with the Beehouse but it is for her after all. I fully plan on sticking with my Buono/V60 combo but you never know.

Does anyone know of a site that sells both the Clever and Kone 3 (for my V60) and offers free shipping for over $75. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:01:01 PM by BozemanEric »

BozemanEric

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »

Eric, you'll never notice any affect of the Clever being plastic.  Are you opposed to plastic for aesthetic, or perhaps health reasons?  For ease of use in the pourover world, they are hard to

I dislike plastic because it tends to have and hold flavors. I am also worried about the health concerns of heating or freezing plastic. I know they say I is tested safe but how many other things have they said that about? 

With that in mind, we choose the Clever. We looked at some brew videos online and it was the one she would most likely use.  I would have gone with the Beehouse but it is for her after all. I fully plan on sticking with my Buono/V60 combo but you never know.

Does anyone know of a site that sells both the Clever and Kone 3 (for my V60) and preferably offers free shipping for over $75 or $100.

BozemanEric

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »
The large Clever arrived yesterday and, while I am still not in love with the plastic, I must confess that it does make a great cup of joe. We made a cup of Guat and Elida using SM's ratio of 33 grams to 18 ounces. I used the same grind I use for my V60 and they where both great. The fiancée says that she will use it, but only time will tell.