Author Topic: BraZen Issues  (Read 2378 times)

BozemanEric

BraZen Issues
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
I am having a major issue with my Brazen.  The Brazen is not using all the water in the top reservoir, to excess.  We almost exclusively use the .9L line with 50g of grounds.  The first pot this morning worked great with a little water left in the top reservoir as usual.  The second pot, brewed 30 minutes later, left 1.5C (12ozs, true cups, I poured it out and measured it) in the top reservoir.  See attached photo taken 5 minutes after the cycle ended and bell chimed.  It does this quite frequently and always appears to be a subsequent pot.  I can live with a carafe that pours poorly, but I cannot accept a machine that does not let me consistently extract my coffee.  I love this machine but this problem has popped up over the past few weeks and does not appear to be correcting itself.  I did contact Brazen this morning, but was wondering if anyone else was having these issues.

The only other complaint I have on the Brazen is that it is ruining my manual brew techniques.  I made a vacuum pot yesterday and had to look up grind and dosing information.  My Yama has not come out of the cupboard since the Brazen has arrived.

JW

Re: BraZen Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »

I have not had this issue and my Brazen often does back to back brewing cycles. I almost always use the 1.2 liter volume with 70 grams of coffee. I am also completely losing my touch with manual brewing methods as laziness has taken over and I use the brazen constantly. I love the cup this thing produces.

JW

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »

...I am also completely losing my touch with manual brewing methods as laziness has taken over and I use the brazen constantly. I love the cup this thing produces.

JW

Not to worry.  There are plenty of us putzers out here that remain stodgy, tactile driven manual makers.  We will be here to provide the right ratios when the power goes out.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »

I have not had this issue and my Brazen often does back to back brewing cycles. I almost always use the 1.2 liter volume with 70 grams of coffee. I am also completely losing my touch with manual brewing methods as laziness has taken over and I use the brazen constantly. I love the cup this thing produces.

JW

I'm with you.

We bought a cheap little Black & Decker Brew'n'Go 1 cup coffee maker. It produces a great cup of coffee with very little effort and it has a reusable filter to boot.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

JW

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
Not to worry.  There are plenty of us putzers out here that remain stodgy, tactile driven manual makers.  We will be here to provide the right ratios when the power goes out.

LOL.  ;)
A week and a half ago I was in front of my house using a propane burner to heat water, using a manual grinder, making coffee with my Gen 2 Kone and Chemex because of the hurricane. My house was freezing, but at least I had good coffee.   :D

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
BraZen Issues
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »
LOL.  ;)
A week and a half ago I was in front of my house using a propane burner to heat water, using a manual grinder, making coffee with my Gen 2 Kone and Chemex because of the hurricane. My house was freezing, but at least I had good coffee.   :D
You have the right priorities! :D

BozemanEric

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
Behmor got back to me, within twelve hours on a Saturday, and told me to clean out the reservoir inlet hole with tweezers. I have not noticed anything in the way but will check it tomorrow before brewing and report back.

BozemanEric

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
After about a week of emailing back and forth Behmor could not find a solution to my water problem. A new Brazen showed up on my doorstep today. I did not even have time to unbox it before heading north for the holiday.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:19:04 AM by BozemanEric »

jimec3

RE: BraZen Issues
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »
Mine has this same problem out of the box.  I am slightly frustrates with them suggesting I descale a brand new non-functioning machine. Their one email/perday, and them not listening.

Brand new....not working

If this is not resolved soon its getting returned for a refund and Joe will have someone speaking contrarily to his reputation on customer service.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

BozemanEric

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 05:16:51 PM »
I have had no issues with my second one. Well, almost no issues. The spouts still sucks.  It dribbles all over the kitchen counter.

jimec3

RE: BraZen Issues
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
I'm a little miffed at the lack of appropriate response from the customer service.
I had always heard such good things from the bahmor fans but today it was suggested that hard water was to blame for a brand new brewer not working.  I was instructed to descale a two day old machine. Which wouldn't make me too mad if I thought any further communication would occur today but it seems like you get one half assed attempt per day. No phone number to call.....

Tomorrow it gets resolved or it goes back

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

BozemanEric

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »
It did take me about a week of back-and-forth for me to get them to replace it.  I guess I am just so used to terrible customer service that I thought this was good. They can't compare to Barataza's customer service though.

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:44:18 AM »
It did take me about a week of back-and-forth for me to get them to replace it.  I guess I am just so used to terrible customer service that I thought this was good. They can't compare to Barataza's customer service though.
I second that on Baratza
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

jimec3

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »
Yeah it was a week of emails before they agreed that the brewer should have worked when I plugged it in.  Now they apparently sent a replacement via mule from the left coast.  I think all in all this will be resolved in just under a month. 

Not what I consider ideal, the sad thing is I am sure Behmor doesn’t see the problem.  I would bet I have sold 3 Technivorms and as many baratzas (by recommendation) in the last year to friends and family.  If this had been a different experience the same could be said for the brazen.  But the last thing I would do would be to risk my coffee geek status with my circle of friends with a bad recommendation (especially for customer service)

If/When this one breaks I will more than likely take my brewer business either to back to Bunn or TV.

You can add Hottop USA to the list of great customer service as well. 

jimec3

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 09:28:26 AM »
Well my second brewer showed up.  And I will follow up and say, that for drip, this brewer was able to wash the bad taste that Brazen customer service had left in my mouth.