Author Topic: Stories of vile brewers that circumstances conspire to inflict on you  (Read 707 times)

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
The wife works at a meth lab methadone clinic (she's their nurse).

They're having a customer appreciation day today, with coffee and snacks. I was slated to do coffee.

I showed up and they already had a percolator of Folgers going. I'd been told they had been planning to use a regular drip machine, which would have made more sense, I think, since the customers aren't all there at once (smaller batches throughout the day, better than one or two big ones with hours to stale).

I set to figuring out the drip machine in another room. It was a Sunbeam. It had a miniscule basket and a 72 oz carafe. The water just dribbled into the middle of the basket. Why do they do this kind of thing?

I have no idea what the water temperature was, because I never got around to being patient enough with the darned thing to appreciate how terrible it probably was. I was too busy dealing with the fact that its brew cycle was 10 minutes. But hey! That meant that the basket that wouldn't hold enough coffee for 72 ounces of brewing was perfect for splitting the cycle in half. Just stop the thing halfway through and change the grind.

Thus did two wrongs make a right. It helped that I tweaked the grind quite coarse on the spot.

Oh -- they were out of filters. I used their last two.     :-\

Walking into a situation cold and being expected to produce good coffee can be interesting. It'd almost make a great reality show: the hapless coffee geeks arrive on set and are each handed some ungodly thing drawn from the shelves of a Goodwill store, and their results are judged by expert cuppers.    :P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:59:41 AM by rasqual »

BoldJava

Re: Stories of vile brewers that circumstances conspire to inflict on you
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:22:37 AM »
Not my tale but one I observed.

Showed up for a lunch discussion at church.  After lunch, Jack slipped out into the kitchen and returned.  Twenty minutes later, he showed at the table with a pot of "coffee."  Someone asked, "Jack, where did you get the coffee?  I checked and we were out."

Jack replied, as if it were normal, "Oh, I just used the grounds that were already in there.  They had only been used once this morning."  Dead serious.

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:38:21 AM »
Oh man...I ran into a few airpots that were never really cleaned, and just rinsed. The build up was so bad, the insides were dark, and all I did was dish soap and a long brush, and the stuff was just flaking off. It was so gross, but in the end, I managed to make it decent, but I was still wary about serving coffee out of those things.
enjoy coffee on your own terms!

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:53:52 AM »
Oh man...I ran into a few airpots that were never really cleaned, and just rinsed. The build up was so bad, the insides were dark, and all I did was dish soap and a long brush, and the stuff was just flaking off. It was so gross, but in the end, I managed to make it decent, but I was still wary about serving coffee out of those things.

I've observed people who merely soak pots like that in . . . soapy water. No scrubbing. They rinse, of course -- but I've often wondered how much of the perfumed dish soap ends up leeched into the crappy rind of muck, to in turn leech out into the coffee when subsequently brewed into it.