Author Topic: Behmor is in the Building  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Behmor is in the Building
« on: April 20, 2013, 04:47:11 AM »
Thanks to another member of this group, I just bought a new (to me) Behmor 1600. I won't be able to start roasting until Monday, but I'm looking forward to doing all kinds of roasts. I'm trying not to sleep nights because it just gets in the way of making and drinking coffee.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Behmor is in the Building
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:58:39 AM »
I think you will like it a lot.
Granted there are those who complain, oh there is not enough control, this, that, but it's an easy roaster to get going on and very forgiving if you make a mistake.

If you make a BAD mistake and set the thing on fi re, unlike some of the others, it will probably survive with little to show for it.

I have had a Behmore for years and have put hundreds of pounds of coffee thru it and it's still running strong.

One thing to keep in mind though.  Although it is 'rated' for being able to do a pound of coffee, many folks have stated they had problems doing that much.
When it's spanking new and if you have a good voltage to it, it won't have any problems but if it's dirty, lower voltage, aging, etc, you might want to go with 12 oz to 14 oz on the 1 lb setting.  This ensures that you have plenty of time to actually complete your roast if for whatever reason it might stall a bit or take a bit longer than you anticipated.

Enjoy your roaster, and let us know  how you like it.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dmsweatt

• Standard User
  • Bunn ES-1A, Behmor 1600
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:27:45 AM »
I just started with a Behmor in November and put about 30 pounds through.

I would agree with less than 1 pound; I have settled in on 8-9 ounces.  Its not that it can't roast 12+ ounces, it is just that I found it would pick up too much steam and blast through 1C and straight into second.

It is very voltage dependant and you may want to measure that so you can estimate how long roasts may take.  I have measured anything from 126V to 111V at the same outlet depending on time of day and what we have running in the house.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:12:25 AM »
I had a behmor and ran 100 roasts through it before selling it 3 years ago, then bought a Hot Top B model which I'm still using

I was running 12 ounces (weighed starting out) through the behmor...easily hit 2nd crack and ended up with FC+, my target

It's a nice roaster I'm sure you will enjoy

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.”-Adolf Hitler/Barack Hussein Obama

Burner0000

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:04:25 AM »
Also own a Behmor.   I've roasted around 25 pounds in the last 10 months without fail.  I clean mine regularly and with a dedicated line I never have any issue taking 450g into 2C.  If your hesitant you won't make it just do a 2 min warm up which will take it to 300'F and you won't have an issue.   

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:40:47 AM »
If your hesitant you won't make it just do a 2 min warm up which will take it to 300'F and you won't have an issue.

You mean turn it on for two minutes and then turn the power off? Couldn't that do some harm to the electronics in the machine? Or something.

Burner0000

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
Well Behmor probably wouldn't recommend it .  All your really doing is heating the internal metal structure to temp.  I have done it many times without problem as well as others but it is at your own risk. 

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
What yak said..... If you do manage to do this it should cool down pretty fast on it's own with the door open.

If not, hit the 'cool' button for about 30 seconds, then hit stop, then try again to restart it.  Normally works well.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!