Author Topic: Where can I get my Gene Cafe repaired?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline mitchg

• Standard User
Where can I get my Gene Cafe repaired?
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:02:34 PM »
A few months ago, my daughter called me away from a roast and my beans in the Gene weren't on fire, but it wasn't far from it. I did my best to halt the roast, but felt that taking a chance of pulling the drum would do less damage than firefighting.

I may have been right, but the Gene gives an error when I try to turn it on. (I forget the code, but it won't start to revolve at all when I try to start a roast).

I read an australian site that said it was a fairly simple repair, but listed links to other foreign sites to get the parts.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a place that does this repair at a reasonable cost or a US seller of the needed part?

Thanks for all any any replies!

Mitch

ecc

Re: Where can I get my Gene Cafe repaired?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
http://www.freshbeansinc.com/Store-Parts.html

I would fire it up and get the error code, email it to those guys.  They were awesome to me.

But, a few months ago?   :-X

Offline mitchg

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I should have clarified, This is not my only roaster. I have one of the better Hot Top roasters. (not the $6,000 one).

ecc

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:09:19 PM »
You're very welcome, and I'm glad you posted that. 

The thought was freaking me out a little.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:08:13 AM »
Mitch,

if you've opened up your hottop for a deep cleaning, then the Gene should be even easier to
take apart.  Hope it's a simple part swap.  The one time I needed a replacement heating element,
it was sent to me at no charge eventho it was out of warranty. 

Offline mitchg

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:52:47 AM »
Just an update, I had my machine repaired by Batch Coffee in Plymouth, MA and was very happy with their service and pricing.