Author Topic: Bonavita and Technivorm....Which one  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Kenny

• Standard User
Bonavita and Technivorm....Which one
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »
Thinking about getting a new coffee brewer in the next month and I'm between these two.  The Bonavita has really good reviews at Amazon and Clive coffee did a review http://www.clivecoffee.com/learn/2012/01/first-look-bonavita-versus-technivorm/ and the Bonavita looked pretty damn good and its over $100 cheaper to boot. The only drawback is Made in China vs Technivorm which is Made in the Netherlands. Just wanted some opinions on what some of you think.

Offline Smksignals

• Standard User
Re: Bonavita and Technivorm....Which one
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:24:31 PM »
If your considering a thermal carafe the Bonavita has reviews of the carafe exploding or breaking on the inside. Will it happen ??? Hard telling ....
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Shacke

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 03:24:54 AM »
I'm making the same decision, as my wife is tired of the Brazen (she doesn't take advantage of the parameters). I'm leaning technivorm.

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:52:07 AM »
I can not speak of the Bonavita. I can say that I have had my TV for almost 10 years now. It has consistently cranked out great drip coffee since day 1. If you clean it and descale it once a month it will last a longggggggggggg time. If this one ever quit I would buy another in an instant. You do have the ability to manipulate the brew if so desired or simply turn it on and let it do its thing. Hope that helps.
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:10:38 AM »
I have both, the TV at my permanent home and the Bonavita at my FL condo.  IMHO there is not a lot to choose from in terms of the coffee produced.  They taste pretty much the same to me.  The TV is more solidly built and has copper innards.  It also has an all stainless steel carafe.  The Bonavita has the glass thermos insides which I have heard of problems with.  Instructions that came with the Bonavita include cautions about tempering the carafe, not scrubbing it with abrasives, not putting in dishwasher, etc.  Some folks might not want to be bothered being that cautious.

Way too early to tell, but I would think the TV would be more durable.  $100 difference in price has to get you something right? 
Bob Feuker

Offline Kenny

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
Alright you guys talked me into the TV

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
I have Bonavita Thermal, and even though you already made your choice thought I would  put in my two cents.

I have had mine for 2 year this coming Feb 2014, and have not had a problem with it. I like that it can be taken apart easily and washed, and with a little soap in carafe it becomes sparkling clean without any harsh detergents like a stainless steel carafe. It makes wonderful coffee day in and day out for the past twoish years.

The only problem that I have with recommeneding Bonavita is there seems to have been some sort of shake up or buyout or something with them about a year and half ago, and it seems since that times they have really slipped in terms of customer support and perhaps even quality of their products. I have the electric kettle from them as well that is 2+ years at this point still being used everyday without any problems, but many report rust etc in their newer models, not sure if the two are related just seems weird.

So if money is of little or no concern perhaps the tried and true is the best course of action.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »
I'm making the same decision, as my wife is tired of the Brazen (she doesn't take advantage of the parameters). I'm leaning technivorm.

Are you thinking of selling your Brazen?  Let me know,