Author Topic: Behmor Mod for More Heat  (Read 6139 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Behmor Mod for More Heat
« on: November 03, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
I wrote to Joe and hope to hear back, but was just curious if anyone here could fill me in on how to modify my Behmor 1600 so it produces hotter roasting temperatures. I'd be gratefu to you.

Burner0000

Re: Behmor Mod for More Heat
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:48:00 AM »
I wrote to Joe and hope to hear back, but was just curious if anyone here could fill me in on how to modify my Behmor 1600 so it produces hotter roasting temperatures. I'd be gratefu to you.

The only ways I've ever heard of to get hotter roast times would be to insulate and pre-heat the Behmor. If you do a 2 min pre-heat on P1 it warms the chamber up to 300'F exactly. I usually never roasted past Vienna so the pre-heat was enough. You could also try covering the inner door and or chaff collector with foil to redirect the escaping heat. Keep in mind that the board on the Behmor isn't the toughest. I did only a few pre heats and back to backs with 45min rests in between and fried my board.. Bottom line is the Behmor isn't meant for anything past FC+ and the voltage also restricts it.

Oh ya roasting 1/2 - 300g on the 1 lb setting with the time maxed out will do it for you.

Hope this helps.

Although I don't really roast dark, some of the beans I sample need to be in order to get the taste I'm looking for which is why I switched to fluid bed.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:02:08 AM »
Thanks, Burner. As far as consumer fluid bed roasters go, which can roast the largest batch of beans at once?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:27:27 AM »
You would have to define consumer roasters. The soon is consider commercial but works great for the home. They are available in 1 or 2lb version but you can't vary the amount.

Mine just happens to be for sale:)

Burner0000

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:30:58 AM »
Thanks, Burner. As far as consumer fluid bed roasters go, which can roast the largest batch of beans at once?

Sadly there isn't much out there for consumer fluid bed roasters.  I love the SR500 but it only does 125 g.. I use it just for sampling.  The Sonofresco or Artisan V are the largest batch sizes out there that I know of.  If you have a 20A line and a bit of DIY anbition you can build a fluid bed very easily.

A variable temp heat gun + non galvanized metal cone and a secont attached to a vacuum would work nice.  The only reaon I didn;t build one in the first place is because I need it for my cafe. 

Food for thought.. Something like this would do nicely.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MASTER-APPLIANCE-Heat-Gun-1YML7?Pid=search

Burner0000

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:44 AM »
You would have to define consumer roasters. The soon is consider commercial but works great for the home. They are available in 1 or 2lb version but you can't vary the amount.

Mine just happens to be for sale:)

+1 The Sonofresco's are built well.  IMO they are worth the money.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
+1 The Sonofresco's are built well.  IMO they are worth the money.

I have no doubt that this is true. But there is no way in this or any other known (or unknown) universe that I can pay that much.

smico

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:12:14 AM »
Another option is to buy variac (autotransformer).  Best are used US made Technipower or Staco.
If you search GCBC for variac, you will find several previous discussions.
I bought Technipower 30A for $90 to feed my Hottop, and I couldn't be happier.
Cheers,
Miroslav
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:48:26 AM by smico »

sgreen

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
A pretty smart fellow mentioned to me a while back that lining the interior with aluminum foil (shiny side out) works wonders.

I tried it on just the chaff collector and saw an immediate 1 minute decrease in time to first crack. Pretty slick and I still feel a little sheepish that I didn't think of it myself.

-and now I'm even more sheepish that I didn't see Burner000 told you the same thing.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:42:39 AM by sgreen »

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
That sounds great. I'll try it. Plus, it makes cleaning the Behmor much easier. On the chaff collector, you just line the bottom and the die that faces out, covering all the holes? Ok!

silicon

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
What is the best  for espresso?

Roast as fast as possible
or
Roast slowly

I put one half poud, adjust the behmor  P4 ..1 pound , 20 minutes and when I hear the first crack I reajust depending what I want..

I roast Bresilien 1/3 FC+ and 2/3 FC

What is the benefit to have more heat  ?

What I would like to have is when I hear the first crack , put a slower température to have a longer time before first and the second crack.
The behmor is very good exept is too automatic, I will appreciate to adjust the fan and the temperature when I want, not just more heat when I want

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
There is another mod for the behmore, that will void the warranty, and CAN be dangerous, you do NOT leave this one roasting unattended period.   You switch the wire for the heater with the wire for the light and use the light button to manually turn the heater on and off.  I have not tried this on mine, but was told about it.  I do not know how well it works and have to caution to use at your own risk since there is no longer any significant protection from over temp and fire.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »
Aaron, that mod sounds pretty danged dangerous and risky. Maybe I'll just try opening the door now and then to adjust the temperature during a roast.

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »
Aaron, that mod sounds pretty danged dangerous and risky. Maybe I'll just try opening the door now and then to adjust the temperature during a roast.

I agree! That mod is SCARY! I just use a 3/4 inch plank to lift the front legs of the Behmor. Can go to Vienna if I want with 322 grams in about 16-18 minutes depending on the Profile. 

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 04:26:34 AM »

I agree! That mod is SCARY! I just use a 3/4 inch plank to lift the front legs of the Behmor. Can go to Vienna if I want with 322 grams in about 16-18 minutes depending on the Profile.

You mean, so then the roaster is at an angle? Why not just elevate the entire unit?