Author Topic: Burnt up my Behmor  (Read 2092 times)

chickenwings

Burnt up my Behmor
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
First of all I know, I know...the sausage hot pot that distracted me was excellent though.....

Okay  so my Behmor is pretty ugly looking, can I clean it up with any hope for continued use or do I need to replace it?  Thoughts?

BozemanEric

Re: Burnt up my Behmor
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
As for the Behmor, I can not say. But, as an individual that is notorious for leaving his roaster unattended, I always set a very loud timer for eight to ten minutes when I start my roast. I set it for when 1C should start and I have yet to start a fire. 

chickenwings

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:11:42 PM »
Thanks folks...the wine braised sausages and roasted garlic broccoli was excellent by the way...geez..

I've cleaned it up mostly with simple green and the burners seem like they are working so maybe I'll just get a new drum and chaff tray and see how it goes.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:04:58 AM »
I had a small fire in my house several years ago... I found that Simple Green plus TSP worked great for removing smoke residue.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 04:33:26 AM »
Clean it up, it should be fine.   Once the temp raises too high in the behmore, even though you ruined the beans, it shuts down.  Yes it looks nasty but clean it up and it probably will work fine.  They are built very tough and can stand idiots like me doing things like that to them.... more than once....  8)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Burner0000

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 04:43:29 AM »
Try soaking the drum and chaff tray in espresso machine cleaner and/or running it through the dishwasher if you have one.  I've heard good reports from both and do the dishwasher trick for mine.

This has worked for me in the past.  I'd also do a test batch and see how things go but I would definately look into replacing all of the electrical to be safe.  The board and elements wont cost you more than $40.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
Hmm. How would sausages cooked IN the Behmor turn out, I wonder?

Ray T

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »

You will have to contact Behmor first to see HOW to get more heat out of the roaster  ::)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »

You will have to contact Behmor first to see HOW to get more heat out of the roaster  ::)

It seems they already figured that one out Ray.   Just leave it unatteded.  ;D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
I think you need more thermal mass in there than a couple of sausages. Maybe add a few charcoal briquettes?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

SJM

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
no goat?