Author Topic: Best OS or device for recording profiles  (Read 2535 times)

Burner0000

Best OS or device for recording profiles
« on: November 28, 2013, 06:18:58 AM »
Has anyone had good luck with a particular device and or OS with regards to logging roast profiles?  I'll be getting the Sonofresco upgrades in Jan the second they are available and I also want to be able to mimic roasts with the SR 500 if I can even a little more or less.  I was thinking of just getting a standard 7" dual core android tablet with USB and bluetooth but I'm wondering if I should stick to windows.  I plan to use Bluetooth for the Sonofresco and a USB logger for the FR SR500.

Offline tamarian

• Standard User
Re: Best OS or device for recording profiles
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 06:35:48 AM »
I use Ubuntu Linux with Artisan, and have it auto-log roast profiles to a DropBox directory. My notebook initially had Windows 7 but kept crashing on me mid-roasts, so I just replaced it with Ubuntu. My notebook is dedicated to the roaster, but I can access the data from any computer or device via DropBox.

smico

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »
I use Windows 7 64 bits with Artisan and I have no problems at all.

Burner0000

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »
Ok so far stay away from Android it looks like. :p

pShoe

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:24:07 PM »
I tried using Ubuntu, but could not Amprobe TMD-56 working on it. Back to using Win 7. No complaints. 

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Mac osx worked for me with the tc4. It might be different ball game now that I have a watlow pid on the way with modbus functionality and ramping/profiling.

The watlow software may force me to use xp..

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
I use Windows 7 64 bits with Artisan and I have no problems at all.
+1
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:37:33 AM »
For those of us that are wanting to use mod bus via rs485. What adapter is the best price and performance wise?

I got a cheap adapter off ebay and now that I have it, I am questioning my choice since it has only 2 connectors and no ground hookup.
Reading further, I should be looking for one with optical isolation and at least three connectors.

jimec3

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:33:45 AM »
I run Artisan on oldschool XP using Delta PIDs.  I like the setup because it was cheap and is more reliable than anything else for roast recording and profile control.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
I may have a wallow modbus capable three probe input pid available for sale soon. I bought a package of two and won't be needing the extra one.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »
What model Watlow, I am looking for a 1/4 din form factor. I would be very interested, the com features would be great. I might have a extra rs485 to 232 converter, or I could email you the pin out to make your own.

Rich

jimec3

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
I may have a wallow modbus capable three probe input pid available for sale soon. I bought a package of two and won't be needing the extra one.

hmmmm at what price?

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »

I may have a wallow modbus capable three probe input pid available for sale soon.
And here I thought that was an epic auto correct fail....
LMWDP #440

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
Auto correct hates watlow!

More specifically it is a watlow ez-zone rmc. $75 shipped. No screen and 24v but lots of inputs and outputs.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »
I just setup artisan to use it and ran some tests with 2 type thermocouples. It is working perfectly with one more input to spare.
It configurability is amazing with this unit. I hooked up the rs-485 adapter to usb that I snagged of ebay for $5 shipped, ran the Watlow ex-zone configuration software and away it went. I can change it to run rtd, thermocouple, voltage and even change the temperature display type.

So the specs are 3 universal input, 6 mechanical relay outputs, 1 universal output (voltage/amps) and mod bus model RMC1L1L1LANA1AA
This retails at ~ $700. The 24v power supply can be picked up off ebay pretty cheap. I snagged one for $10.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:55:33 PM by ScareYourPassenger »