Author Topic: Is the Vario the best -$500 grinder?  (Read 9967 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Is the Vario the best -$500 grinder?
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »
I'm finally sick of dual use grinding.

I'm ready to pick up an espresso dedicated grinder. I've been anti 2 grinders for ever but I'm starting to have issues and its time...

I've done zero research on current grinders and intend this thread to be about all the research that I do.

I'm prepared to get the Vario just because RcrX has two but figured one quick thread was in order just to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

I'm after a great quality espresso dedicated grinder. And no..not the $1,400 crazy talk grinders.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

Re: Is the Vario the best -$500 grinder?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:10:15 AM »
John,

Find a used commercial espresso grinder $250 put a new set of burrs in it $50.... And you will wish you'd done it a long time ago.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »
Sell me one of yours for $325.  8)

You probably have too many anyway.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
Sell me one of yours for $325.  8)

You probably have too many anyway.

;D  I only currently have 2... One at the cabin and one at home.

Buy this one
https://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/4361702425.html

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a Vario for everything except espresso and using my Mazzer strictly for espresso.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
Is the Vario the best -$500 grinder?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »
I have a Rossi rr45 I've been thinking of letting go of.  The burrs have only a couple of pounds through them.

Way cheaper than a new Vario.  Interested at $200 shipped?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
I have a Rossi rr45 I've been thinking of letting go of.  The burrs have only a couple of pounds through them.

I might be. I'm working now and can't look at it but will let you know tonight.

Lee Morrison

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »

I might be. I'm working now and can't look at it but will let you know tonight.

No hurry.  I was looking at it this morning thinking I needed to find it a new home
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
Ceramic stock burrs in the Vario for espresso. Metallic (Mahlkonig) burrs in the Vario for pourover. For the price point I don't think you can beat it. Of course there will always be used grinder deals out on the market and if you find the right deal... it's the right deal.

The Vario comfortably rules the $500 price range.

BozemanEric

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »
Grinder seem to be my weakness. Right now, on the counter, I have a Perciso, a Major, and a Vario-W. The Vario-W rarely gets used.  I originally bought the Vario as my espresso grinder. When I moved up to the major, I thought I would use the Vario as my primary coffee grinder. I did not like leaving beans in the hopper and would single-dose for coffee anyways, so I kind of stuck with the Perciso as it will do anything coffee well.

The Vario is a great espresso grinder. I honestly do not know if I could tell the difference between it and the Major in a blind taste test.  The thing I don't like about the Vario is changing beans and adjusting grind settings. I would frequently have to change the grind settings when I changed beans or when beans aged to a certain degree.  The major has more of a set-it-and-forget-it setting. Occasionally I will have to make minor adjustments when I change beans but rarely to the extent that it pulls a really bad shot.  I get many, many less sink shots with the major. 

I would second third Larry's advice, be patient, and look for a used commercial grinder. It decreases the level of frustration dramatically.  If memory serves me correct, I believe I paid right around the 500 mark for the Major, and it was unused.  Or, if I ever find a good deal on a K10 fresh, I will sell you my Major around that price.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:37:23 AM by BozemanEric »

BozemanEric

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »
Ceramic stock burrs in the Vario for espresso. Metallic (Mahlkonig) burrs in the Vario for pourover. For the price point I don't think you can beat it. Of course there will always be used grinder deals out on the market and if you find the right deal... it's the right deal.

Do you like your metal brewers in your Vario? I have been kicking around the idea of replacing my ceramics with metal and trying to task my Vario as my coffee grinder.  Right now it just gets used for decaf, which is very rarely done.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 10:57:45 AM »
The thing I don't like about the Vario is changing beans and adjusting grind settings. I would frequently have to change the grind settings when I changed beans or when beans aged to a certain degree.  The major has more of a set-it-and-forget-it setting. Occasionally I will have to make minor adjustments when I change beans but rarely to the extent that it pulls a really bad shot.  I get many, many less sink shots with the major. 

Qualifier: I have not used a Vario.  But the sentiment I hear most often is what Eric wrote, that it can be difficult to dial in when things change, like type of coffee or the humidity.  Someone who buys my espresso blend struggles with hers, and even though Baratza has been great when she had to send it back, it's still a hassle.

No doubt there are many, many more satisfied users of the Vario than not.  It makes me wonder if part of the equation is which espresso machine they get paired with - that could be an important consideration.  No doubt the PVL is very forgiving and has a large sweet spot.  My customer has a Sylvia and it may be more picky as to what she feeds it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

GC7

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 11:10:53 AM »
I love my virtuoso for brewed coffee but it has not been without its troubles. I've read too much about problems with the Vario to ever purchase it (moot point as my K10 is forever). I would certainly look for a used commercial grinder first but I can also certainly recommend a Compak K3 for its build quality and grind quality. It will last forever and it will give you excellent espresso.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »

Do you like your metal brewers in your Vario? I have been kicking around the idea of replacing my ceramics with metal and trying to task my Vario as my coffee grinder.  Right now it just gets used for decaf, which is very rarely done.

I think the metal burr upgrade is worth it. Less fines than the ceramic set (some fines for espresso aren't necessarily a bad thing), a cleaner and better cup. It's worth taking a look at this thread:

http://www.home-barista.com/brewing/baratzas-new-vario-burrs-for-non-espresso-brew-only-t21098.html

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
The thing I don't like about the Vario is changing beans and adjusting grind settings. I would frequently have to change the grind settings when I changed beans or when beans aged to a certain degree.  The major has more of a set-it-and-forget-it setting. Occasionally I will have to make minor adjustments when I change beans but rarely to the extent that it pulls a really bad shot.  I get many, many less sink shots with the major. 

Qualifier: I have not used a Vario.  But the sentiment I hear most often is what Eric wrote, that it can be difficult to dial in when things change, like type of coffee or the humidity.  Someone who buys my espresso blend struggles with hers, and even though Baratza has been great when she had to send it back, it's still a hassle.

No doubt there are many, many more satisfied users of the Vario than not.  It makes me wonder if part of the equation is which espresso machine they get paired with - that could be an important consideration.  No doubt the PVL is very forgiving and has a large sweet spot.  My customer has a Sylvia and it may be more picky as to what she feeds it.

Or (considering this is espresso) it could be user error.