Author Topic: Is the Vario the best -$500 grinder?  (Read 9969 times)

SJM

Re: Is the Vario the best -$500 grinder?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »
Have you even considered this?

http://sovranastore.com/esgrin.html

Susan

RobertL

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
There is a Mazzer Super Jolly on CG for $385.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/663816

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »
There is a Mazzer Super Jolly on CG for $385.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/663816

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Not trying to be funny but I forget if I'm allowed over there or not. 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 06:32:56 AM »
I think that Rossi will be too big for my kitchen.

Other than the stove and sink I have cabinets over all my counter space. I should have looked at that first. :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 06:55:24 AM »

Other than the stove and sink I have cabinets over all my counter space. I should have looked at that first. :-

No worries :)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 07:44:16 AM »

Other than the stove and sink I have cabinets over all my counter space. I should have looked at that first. :-

Ya know what...I think I'll take it.

I'll figure out how to chop the hopper.

I'll get with you on payment tonight.

Lee Morrison

Burner0000

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 07:45:31 AM »
A new Macap M4 doser, stepless can be had for $499 "Here". It's commercial and in my opinion superior to the Vario.  3 reasons.

1. Larger burrs. Vario - 54mm / M4 58mm
2. Stepless (Infinite grind settings for any brew type)
3. Commercial built

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »

Ya know what...I think I'll take it.

I'll figure out how to chop the hopper.

I'll get with you on payment tonight.

Ok.  That works too ;D. The screw neck for the hopper (for lack of a better term) holds enough coffee for a shot, if that helps.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

SJM

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »
Ok.  That works too ;D. The screw neck for the hopper (for lack of a better term) holds enough coffee for a shot, if that helps.

Agreed.  I have simply removed the hopper from each of my big grinders:  the Cunill Tranquilo, the MD-50, and now the K-10 PB.  Makes them not at all so imposing...

Susan

BozemanEric

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
I have no hopper on my Major and just put a old tamper in the throat.  I did have to custom order my cabinets to get it to fit under them as well.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
Cool.

I saw that height dimension of 25" and was in shock.

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 11:27:51 AM »
A new Macap M4 doser, stepless can be had for $499 "Here". It's commercial and in my opinion superior to the Vario.  3 reasons.

1. Larger burrs. Vario - 54mm / M4 58mm
2. Stepless (Infinite grind settings for any brew type)
3. Commercial built

Did you spend a few days living with the Macap and the Vario, or are you just research comparing?

I owned a Macap for a few years prior to the Vario, when the Vario came out I bought it and sat the two side by side for quite a long time. I sold the Macap and kept the Vario.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
Burr size has little to do with that equation, since one is flat and the other conical.

I also think for 99% of the time, 'stepless' is less significant than what we ascribe to the word; most grinders nowadays that use steps have them spaced close enough together.  I had a stepped M4 before my current grinder and it was never an issue.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
Burr size has little to do with that equation, since one is flat and the other conical.

I also think for 99% of the time, 'stepless' is less significant than what we ascribe to the word; most grinders nowadays that use steps have them spaced close enough together.  I had a stepped M4 before my current grinder and it was never an issue.

Agreed on both points, Peter. My Macap was stepped as well, then I modded it to stepless, that mod didn't change my coffee world.

Speaking of new grinders, aren't you tired of yours by now? I think you've been hanging on to the grinder, that I would like to own, for quite long enough. Are you ready to send it my way yet? ;-)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »

Agreed on both points, Peter. My Macap was stepped as well, then I modded it to stepless, that mod didn't change my coffee world.

Speaking of new grinders, aren't you tired of yours by now? I think you've been hanging on to the grinder, that I would like to own, for quite long enough. Are you ready to send it my way yet? ;-)

As a matter of fact, yes I am!  My grinder will probably pass your San Fran on its way to B|Java.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you