Author Topic: Is the Vario the best -$500 grinder?  (Read 9966 times)

milowebailey

Re: Is the Vario the best -$500 grinder?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 06:57:10 AM »
well, what did you decide?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 09:02:32 AM »

I grabbed the Rossi from MMW...pretty concerned it's going to wind up being way too big but decided to try anyway. It's in transit.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »

I grabbed the Rossi from MMW...pretty concerned it's going to wind up being way too big but decided to try anyway. It's in transit.

I think you will overlook it's size once you start using it.  You should see if a mazzer or compak short hopper will fit it.

http://www.espressoparts.com/MAZ_85M

http://www.coffee-grinders.com/product_info.php?products_id=397

SJM

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »
If it fits, this is the classiest short hopper ever:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Short-Stack-Compak-Mini-Hopper_p_5598.html

I've got one in the K-10, but still need one for the MD-50 

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
We make no claims, or assertions as to the need for, or not, of a columnar weight above the single dose of beans, and do not address any issues, real or imagined, as to the consistency, or not, of single dosing a commercial espresso grinder.

:o ;D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

SJM

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »
We make no claims, or assertions as to the need for, or not, of a columnar weight above the single dose of beans, and do not address any issues, real or imagined, as to the consistency, or not, of single dosing a commercial espresso grinder.

:o ;D

Yeah, Doug hates being called upon to argue for his stuff, as we all saw in his comments at CoffeeGeek explaining why he wasn't going to be making the Pharos anymore.  He makes it;  use it if you want;  he won't twist your arm or argue with you if you want to criticize it.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »
My eyes aren't good enough to see imaginary grind consistency.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »
I've learned to disregard the shot parameters for how long they can pull, and find a 50sec. ristretto to be a fine thing.  So if one day the grinder setting pulls 50sec. and then a week later the beans are at the point where they pull a 40sec. shot, I don't really care...  both are more than drinkable, and are perfect in their own right. 

~~~~50 second ristretto?!?...you're pulling way too fast laddie

Best,

=:-)
Jake
Reddick Fla.
"If workers struggle for higher wages, this is hailed as 'social gains'; if businessmen struggle for higher profits, this is damned as 'selfish greed'." -  Ayn Rand

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »
I've learned to disregard the shot parameters for how long they can pull, and find a 50sec. ristretto to be a fine thing.  So if one day the grinder setting pulls 50sec. and then a week later the beans are at the point where they pull a 40sec. shot, I don't really care...  both are more than drinkable, and are perfect in their own right. 

~~~~50 second ristretto?!?...you're pulling way too fast laddie

I loves me the goopy-gloppy.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »

I decided to get the Vario....  8)

I just made myself laugh.

Lee Morrison

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2015, 02:12:05 PM »
Listen to Larry.

And if you are going to get a Vario, it should be your non-espresso grinder, not your espresso grinder.

Susan's sense
Guess I did it backwards. Based on advice from Tex (miss him!), I bought a Baratza Vario and Gaggia Classic in 2010. Still have both of them!

Qualifier: I have not used a Vario.  But the sentiment I hear most often is what Eric wrote, that it can be difficult to dial in when things change, like type of coffee or the humidity.  Someone who buys my espresso blend struggles with hers, and even though Baratza has been great when she had to send it back, it's still a hassle.

No doubt there are many, many more satisfied users of the Vario than not.  It makes me wonder if part of the equation is which espresso machine they get paired with - that could be an important consideration.  No doubt the PVL is very forgiving and has a large sweet spot.  My customer has a Sylvia and it may be more picky as to what she feeds it.
Peter, I think you hit the nail on the head!  8)

I have used the Baratza Vario with a PVL and a Gaggia Classic. With the Gaggia, I was constantly fiddling with the adjustment on the Vario to produce decent espresso.

I was really surprised that I NEVER had to do that with the PVL. Now I only use the PVL, and the Gaggia is collecting dust ... but I did have to buy a Capresso grinder for drip coffee.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 06:41:54 PM by rgrosz78 »
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »
rgrosz...

If you have a Huky we have the exact same set up.  8)

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »
When I bought Tom's Gaggia Classic and Cunill Tranquillo grinder I was planning on selling the grinder as I already have a Mazzer Super Jolly. I quickly realized how awesome it is to have a dedicated espresso grinder and a dedicated Drip/etc. Grinder. It's seems overkill now but the Mazzer grinds for my Bonita mainly and the Cunill does a great job for the Gaggia. I think the Cunill is Cheap but it's a good grinder.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37