Author Topic: Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus  (Read 18474 times)

Aromajunkie

Re: Just read about the Behmor 1600 Plus
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
SM posted a vid on Youtube comparing roasts at the 2 different drum speeds. I found the "flattening" vs brightness of the roasts interesting as well as the corresponding interior vs exterior color development comparison. 

Behmor Plus Drum Speed Comparison

Tourman

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
If anyone has had "success" in either/both the Yemen Haraaz Red++ or Ethiopian Natural Process Adado, let me know how you approached it (start, power drops and drum speeds). Both got a little too far on me and I lost most of the fruit in both.

Aromajunkie

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »
I too have found the Haraaz Red to be a challenge in the Behmor. It tends to get a lot of momentum as 1c starts and will blow right into 2c without much of a pause if I don't pull back on the heat soon enough. I am giving it very close attention in the last 5 min of the roast. I now start with 14 oz of green, 1#, P1 and reduce the time to 13 min. I hit start, p5 and D for fast drum speed. I look for 1c to start with 2:45 left and adjust if 1st pops are sooner (or later). I then check temp and press p4 to go to 75% power. I want to see temp drop just a few degrees. If it continues to rise I will go to P3 (50%) until I see it level off and back to P4 if it drops more that 4 degrees. As the cool cycle begins I immediately open the door, pull the tray, vac the chaff and dump in my cooling tray. Doing this I have had 2 good roasts after pooching the first 2 (On the SC/TO by pulling it early and letting the second attempt in the Behmor give a few snaps of second crack as the roast finished).

Tourman

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
Thanks Dave. Two questions - First, I've never done an auto setting and then lowered the time before the start. What does that do in light of the fact that your next action when started is to shift to manual control of the roast? Second, I see the wall thermistor temp drop when the exhaust kicks in, so are you noting that and watching for that "few degree drop" after that? I.e., temp rises, drops with the exhaust kick and again starts a climb.

Aromajunkie

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
Dan,

I didn't really select a preset profile, it's just that P1 is the default. I was just going straight into manual mode and setting an estimated time based on average roast time. Essentially I hit it with full heat until 1c, then moderated same. As for wall thermistor temp, I don't pay much attention until 1c, so it is the second ramp up, particularly at the point of the "rosetta" time.

This got me thinking, so I did a roast tonight and experimented a bit. I used the P3 preset for a gentler drying phase, then at the 3 min mark switched to manual full power and increased drum speed. I used the wall temp to anticipate 1c and went to 75% power at a point that turned out to be 40 seconds before 1c. I maintained that heat setting through the end of the roast. 1c was steady and appeared not to stall. I'm excited about the result. Good even color. No surface oil. Good fragrance. Time will tell, but I have high hopes. This is a small dense bean with a unique roast behavior, but I think when the roast is nailed, the reward is stellar. Best of luck to all. I'll think good thoughts.

Tourman

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:41 PM »
Dave - OK on the clarification. I wondered if there was some game to play with the settings that I hadn't heard about! I'll be curious on how your test cups. Let us know. I'm enjoying the Yemen and Adado...just not the high notes I think I should be getting. Will shorten both up next time. Cheers...Dan

SJM

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »
I too have found the Haraaz Red to be a challenge in the Behmor.

It might not just be the Behmor.
I purchased some from a vendor and found it undrinkable.

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
I got my best results using P4 profile on the Behmor 1600 for the Yemen Marqaha. With the Behmor Plus, I would probably use P4 as well and switch to manual mode at the start of first crack to rein in the roast from running away. Too bad the upgrade board is not yet available in Hong Kong. 

imager01

« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »
This got me thinking, so I did a roast tonight and experimented a bit. I used the P3 preset for a gentler drying phase, then at the 3 min mark switched to manual full power and increased drum speed. I used the wall temp to anticipate 1c and went to 75% power at a point that turned out to be 40 seconds before 1c. I maintained that heat setting through the end of the roast.

I tried this method on the Haraaz Red and had excellent results. Was able to keep temp consistant thru 1c and stopped at 2:15 after 1c which gave me a nice city + roast. After 5 days rest the coffee was phenomenal. Thanks Dave for the tip. 

Aromajunkie

« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
This got me thinking, so I did a roast tonight and experimented a bit. I used the P3 preset for a gentler drying phase, then at the 3 min mark switched to manual full power and increased drum speed. I used the wall temp to anticipate 1c and went to 75% power at a point that turned out to be 40 seconds before 1c. I maintained that heat setting through the end of the roast.

I tried this method on the Haraaz Red and had excellent results. Was able to keep temp consistant thru 1c and stopped at 2:15 after 1c which gave me a nice city + roast. After 5 days rest the coffee was phenomenal. Thanks Dave for the tip.

You are most welcome. I'm happy to hear that you had similar success. I feel that the new controls are a significant improvement.

silicon

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
somebody hear something about the new behmor  ??  The connected customizable drum coffee roaster  ??
Honestly , I am very happy with the plus version and don't see any reason to change.