Author Topic: My new SC/TO. thoughts?  (Read 5229 times)

mcmasterp

My new SC/TO. thoughts?
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »
I just put together an SCTO after being advised that my ronco would probably not ever be able to do a good enough job at roasting. I'd love input from anyone. here's a link to my post:

http://paulscoffeeadventure.com/my-scto-coffee-roaster/

I first tried using it as described by Peter on his site but I think I either couldn't understand what elements were on when and what temps/times he was using or mine simply works different. Either way I had to leave the bottom element on the whole time to get the beans to crack. My first batches (of 12oz) did eventually crack at 15min but thats a far cry from peters ~7min to 1c. my TO is 1500w (measured it at 1465w) so I dont know exactly what the reasons are but with both top and bottom heat I hit 1c in about 10min.

BTW I also built a cooling box like Peter and others have made to quicken cooling down to about 60sec.

SJM

Re: My new SC/TO. thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »
If you end up moving to the Sunpentown,  you can buy the "replacement" for $65.00 which saves you the expense of the bottom portion which you don't need. 

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-10843381165166_2271_15015353

mcmasterp

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »
If you end up moving to the Sunpentown,  you can buy the "replacement" for $65.00 which saves you the expense of the bottom portion which you don't need. 

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-10843381165166_2271_15015353

true but the whole thing is $70 on amazon with free 2 day shipping for us prime members

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
First off I like your instant action tactics!

I don't know a fraction of what Peter does about building these but I'm suspicious of your TO and its power. I've only used the Galloping Gourmet,  it looks different and puts out plenty of juice.

I leave it to others who know how to solve your power issue but I've got a good feeling you are going to solve all the glitches, make a faster than average learning curve and be in a good spot soon.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:21:12 PM »
Don't buy the digital unit.  The ones w/ a dial for setting temp are better.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

mcmasterp

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »
Don't buy the digital unit.  The ones w/ a dial for setting temp are better.

If needed I plan on getting this one from amazon, it's only $66 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunpentown-SO-2000-Multi-Function-Round-Shaped-Convection/dp/B0001NYJP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409019911&sr=8-1&keywords=Galloping+Gourmet

But I'm really hoping to not have to buy it if I don't have to

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpentown-SO-2000-Multi-Function-Round-Shaped-Convection/dp/B0001NYJP8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MSF0EBXER476N2FDSVZ

That's not bad.  If you're snooping around on ebay, a brand that is the same thing as Galloping Gourmet, but sold under a different name is Decosonic.

I just won this one on ebay for $42 shipped;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321495793924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Some say the older turbos had better parts, but if you want to just jump in now, the Sunpentowns are cool. 

Toss that NuWave in the trash.

mcmasterp

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »

That's not bad.  If you're snooping around on ebay, a brand that is the same thing as Galloping Gourmet, but sold under a different name is Decosonic.

I just won this one on ebay for $42 shipped;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321495793924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Some say the older turbos had better parts, but if you want to just jump in now, the Sunpentowns are cool. 

Toss that NuWave in the trash.

haha I should have known. what do you think of this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTION-AIRE-CONVECTION-OVEN-Model-707-/311039719854?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item486b6979ae

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »
I've never seen that brand, but the shape and controls look like a Decosonic/G.G.

Go for it.

mcmasterp

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
damn ebay I didn't notice the shipping cost. $46 to get that one in 7 days or $66 to get the sunpentown in 2 days. hmmm???? I do like to get on with things. lol. Which would you run out of a burning building with?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
ebay simply says 7 days in case it takes that long.  Look at where the item ships from, take a guess at how long it takes to ship from there.  It may just be 3 days, but it'll also depend on how quickly the seller boxes it/ships it.

What's the hurry?  You have plenty of coffee roasted up don't you?

mcmasterp

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
What's the hurry?  You have plenty of coffee roasted up don't you?
Well that depends on how the stuff I did in the SCTO turns out lol. I've thrown a lot of failed roasts away during my learning curve. most of it baked. 

But your right I bought it. we'll see how long it takes

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
My opinions ....

You don't need the switch on the SC heater.  It has a thermal cutout so at most it helps on the startup and has no impact at roasting temps.   I've done it doth ways - no significant diff.

6" off the TO is likely too much space.   It's pretty common to use a springform pan ring (~2.5 inches high) on the GG.

Try preheating for a couple minutes, then continue at full power till 1st crack, at least till you are convinced you can get to 1C handily.

1465W should be enough, tho' I've always used the 1450W Galloping Gourmet.  You can't afford to blow out all that hot air - make the system  reasonably tight.

I believe the sweet spot on my GG based SC/TO is 350 grams of greens.   ~12.5 oz.   Too much and you get a too-slow roast, too little and you get a fast uneven roast.

Seems like you addressed most of these and still - no joy !
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
My opinions ....

You don't need the switch on the SC heater.  It has a thermal cutout so at most it helps on the startup and has no impact at roasting temps.   I've done it doth ways - no significant diff.

Unless you're one of those that likes to hold the beans at a given temp below where that thermal cutout is.