Author Topic: Propane connectors and valves for US Roaster sample roaster  (Read 1219 times)

Offline irunbird

• Standard User
Propane connectors and valves for US Roaster sample roaster
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
I've got a simple question, with maybe not a simple solution- my LP drum roaster is now about 8 or 9 years old and I've been using a simple ball valve shut off to control gas going into the roaster (gross tuning), then using the needle valve on the roaster (this is a US Roaster Corp sample roaster, btw) for fine tuning the flame. It has worked well, but when the ball valve is wide open the needle on the pressure gauge at the roaster bounces quite a bit, which has always bugged me. I never really thought this was the ideal setup, but I've never been able to locate a good valve anywhere that adequately helps you control the gas flow going into the roaster. We've moved to Tampa, Fl, and in the process, I think the flexible line I've been using probably kinked and just needs to be replaced (I can't straighten it enough to fix the problem with the anemic flame I'm currently getting), but does anyone know what sort of add-on hardware is ideally suited for connecting the LP bottle to these roasters?

Offline irunbird

• Standard User
Re: Propane connectors and valves for US Roaster sample roaster
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 03:37:40 AM »
I just found a long post over on HB from one of our members here (a guy I've actually "conversed" with several times on coffeegeek, many, many years ago- JonR10; he may have long forgotten those days..). The article shows some differences between the newer roasters and mine- mainly an inlet gauge that looks like it measures gas pressure coming in to the Honeywell gas ignition valve and a one way valve between it and the connection to the LP bottle. Mine only has the post-regulator meter reading pressure at the burner. I'm still looking for a place to buy a gas meter to "splice" in between my connection and the roaster.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:42:34 AM by irunbird »