Author Topic: Able Aeropress Disks  (Read 2093 times)

wideasleep1

Able Aeropress Disks
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »
Just received the new disks for Able, of particular interest is the 'fine'...I think this is a new product from them?

No taste test yet...pending! :)

edit: The fine disk is quite thin..like a old double-edge razor blade thin...yes it *could* cut you, especially if your hand was water-soaked, which is how my hands always get their cuts. I'd say the regular (coarser) disk is easily double the thickness. That's my 'I'm not B|Prof with micrometer' best guesstimate. :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:02:27 PM by wideasleep1 »

Hworx

Re: Able Aeropress Disks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
I bought a 4" square piece is SS screen from Ebay for $3.25 shipped and cut out a disk from it for my AP.  It's 50 micron which is really fine.  I love it, hardly any fines in the cup even with a fine grind.  The crema and oils are there but no grounds and fines.  I wish someone would make one this fine for the Aeropress that has a rim on it to make it harder to bend.

wideasleep1

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:45:03 AM »
I bought a 4" square piece is SS screen from Ebay for $3.25 shipped and cut out a disk from it for my AP.  It's 50 micron which is really fine.  I love it, hardly any fines in the cup even with a fine grind.  The crema and oils are there but no grounds and fines.  I wish someone would make one this fine for the Aeropress that has a rim on it to make it harder to bend.

The 'S' filter claims 61 microns (50K holes)...from what I've read, they've improved the secured margin which used to give up after so much flexing.
http://www.kaffeologie.com/about-the-s-filter/

This generic on AMZ claims 100K holes:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mesh-Stainless-AeroPress-Reusable/dp/B00JVTQHVC/ref=pd_sbs_k_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DZHCX4K5CV4KMRBQKBE

wideasleep1

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 08:59:15 AM »
Two loads in and the results are positive: I was surprised it was just as easy to push the 'shot' using the finer screen..I expected more force to be needed. Suppose more holes per inch (hpi?) makes up for it. Happy day. Second surprise: using my current grinder setting (wide open) on the K30 Vario, the 'corn meal' coarse grind is a simple wash off the fine screen, versus the regular (both Crucial and Able versions look identical) which requires a nail brush to get the holes cleared of fines. So a faster wash/cleanup. Happy day.
Yes, there is a flavor difference..ever so slightly less smooth, perhaps a bit of bitter sneaking in, but I'm certain I can adjust my way out of it, it's not *that* pronounced..subtle, and again only after two shots. :)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
I would think that with such a short steep time in the AP, you'd do better with a fine grind.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

wideasleep1

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
I would think that with such a short steep time in the AP, you'd do better with a fine grind.

Corn meal perhaps isn't the best descriptor..it is finer than that, but as usual, everything has it's variables (grind, steep time, push pressure) for one to optimize. :)

wideasleep1

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »
Oh yeah...almost forgot...

The 'fines' comparison: