Author Topic: Huky 500 roasting tips, tricks, and questions  (Read 5778 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Huky 500 roasting tips, tricks, and questions
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »
I don't see an Android version of Roastmaster or I'd look at it. I really  like my tablet and would love to use it vs laptop.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
I agree with Aaron a little slc 500 with a analog module is the way to go, ladder logic is easy to  program , the down side is Allan Bradly software is expensive, if I could get my meat hooks on programing software cheap, i would go that way.

Rich

Cammie

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 06:01:58 PM »
I don't see an Android version of Roastmaster or I'd look at it. I really  like my tablet and would love to use it vs laptop.

There isn't one.  But I like the Roastmaster app so much more than Artisan for data logging and maintaining my green coffee inventory that I bought a used Ipad to use with Roastmaster.  I'm fine with only two inputs as well so I'll be using a Bluetherm Duo and Roastmaster when I set up data logging with my Huky.

johnny4lsu

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »

There isn't one.  But I like the Roastmaster app so much more than Artisan for data logging and maintaining my green coffee inventory that I bought a used Ipad to use with Roastmaster.  I'm fine with only two inputs as well so I'll be using a Bluetherm Duo and Roastmaster when I set up data logging with my Huky.
What about it that makes you prefer it so much over Artisan?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »
Yes...please elaborate.

I'm going to build a dedicated roast station and I'm not against getting an iPad for it if it's better. Unfortunately I did just buy  a center 304 that might not jive but I am ready to build out this roaster more "polished" than normal for me.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

johnny4lsu

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 06:48:56 PM »
Honesly, in the Roast N Learn threads over at HB and other times that the Roastmaster graphs are posted, I normally skip right over them.

I find that the Artisan graphs give much more information (this may not be true..just my experience)

For example, these two roasts are of the same bean.

The Artisan graphs gives a breakdown of each roasting phase with percentage, etc...Also have Rao's RoR development ratio calculating on the fly for you. Also, you are getting estimate times for when drying ends and when first crack starts, etc...this allows you to adjust gas/air to hit your targets.

The RM program may do the same exact things, but I can't attest to that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:52:47 PM by johnny4lsu »

Cammie

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »
I can't claim any great expertise in either Artisan or Roastmaster.  I have set up both (Artisan on a laptop and Roastmaster on an Ipad) but have only performed half a dozen or so roasts using Artisan and no roasts yet using Roastmaster.  I have been using Roastmaster to keep track of my inventory for several months.

I like Roastmaster over Artisan because it was so much easier to set up and has features I like such as the integration with inventory (Roastmaster will automatically subtract the coffee I roast from my coffee inventory).  I also like the manner in which the Roastmaster app stores and allows you to compare past roasts contemporaneously with your current roast (the Roastmaster literature indicates that you can superimpose the roasting graphs and also describes a simplified tool that helps you repeat the main parameters of a particular roast).

I think you can't go wrong with whatever app you choose.  For someone like me, a person who will rarely use a data logging program when roasting, Roastmaster appears to offers the simplicity I need on the few occasions when I would use a data logging program.  However, just based on the comments on the various coffee forums, it appears that many people use and are familiar the Artisan program.  So selecting the Artisan program may allow you to more easily share and compare roasting profiles.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »
I don't need any inventory tracking features.

I like the idea of overlapping graphs to duplicate roasts but at this point data logging is only imaginary to me.  Any feature is just an idea to me right now.

Lee Morrison

johnny4lsu

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 12:46:49 PM »
Artisan does that really well.. You can fully customize the background graph as well. They line up perfect with charge.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 01:09:44 PM »
Like tracing a line. ... flippin sweet!  8)

Lee Morrison

Offline Javadive

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 08:21:09 PM »
I like the fact that Artisan allow you *unlimited sampling point, & PID Control is very important to me

SJM

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
As of this morning we have opened up a dedicated HUKY Forum:

http://www.hukyforum.com

Y'all come....:-))))

johnny4lsu

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
Woooohooooooo!!!! Huky Nation

jano

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »
I'm gonna get me some Huky Nuky tonight, and will still be there the morning after.   :o