Author Topic: Hottop Replacement?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
Hottop Replacement?
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:16:46 PM »
I have two Hottop Bs - one sourced from SM, and the other bought direct from the Taiwan firm that makes them. I've had to replace top and rear filters over the years on both of them, as well as the keypads and heating elements. I am now having motherboard issues on one, and power supply issues on the other. They have been a joy to use, but their downtimes have become more common of late. I still have my Sonofresco 1 lb but I really like the control that the HT Bs give to the roaster.

My question - is there any other sample roaster in the market that works like the Hottop B, with heat and fan controls on the fly? Being in the same  price range as the B would be helpful. Drum speed control is also nice to have. I typically roast small batches, no more than 300 grams per roast and about 2 to 3 kilos per week.

TIA for any tips.
No coffee, No workee!

wideasleep1

Re: Hottop Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »
Still want electric I think you're looking at Quest M3, but for gas the Huky 500 is an option. Both have former Hottop users favoring their new choice. Cheers!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:53:25 AM »
I am in the process of moving from HT to Huky.

I think it's the next step up all things considered.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 06:34:53 AM »
Why not just upgrade to the profiling system in the sono?

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »
Been e-mailing with Kuanho Li in Taiwan, but his production schedule might still be too full to accommodate a single order like mine. I do plan to get the profiling upgrade for the Sono, but it still roasts double the amount of coffee that I typically need per roast.

Thanks!
No coffee, No workee!