Author Topic: Hario V60 v. KONE  (Read 2899 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Hario V60 v. KONE
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
My wife is getting tired of futzing with our Hario Syphon every morning, and has expressed interest in getting a Hario pourover. Well, I've been a fan of Aeropress w/ the Able DISK, so I am now thinking that the Able KONE with other paraphernalia would be preferable to the Hario V60 and paper filter.  Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:18:56 PM by Joe »
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Hario V60 v. KONE
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:43:54 AM »
I'd guess the main difference for the Hario setup you mention would be Kone vs. paper; more oils and mouthfeel, more sludge (but pretty minimal) versus very clean cup, and much simpler cleanup.

With either filter the V60 is very pour-rate and pour-technique dependent.  Discuss with your wife if she's willing to putz with learning the pour.

It sounds like you don't need much volume if you're thinking of going with the AP.  You should consider the Clever Dripper too.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
I have used the AP for many years, and like it, but we are looking for something that is perceived to be simpler than syphon.  I had not thought about KONE with the V60, as I thought the V60 ribs were designed specifically for the Hario filter papers.  So the KONE will fit the V60?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:58:01 AM by YasBean »

BozemanEric

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »
The Kone works beautifully in the V60. You might also look at the Bonevita immersion cone with paper filters. As far as ease-of-use, it is about as good as it gets. It is the only manual device I could get R to ever use in the morning. Makes a rather nice cup of coffee as well.

Offline Curtis

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:31:47 PM »
I use a single hole Bonmac at work and a three hole Bee House dripper at home for pour over. Either makes great coffee but give the filters a rinse first. There are a host of YouTube vids up that show tweaking the pour. I prefer paper as the clean up is so easy. The grind and dose, as always, are what makes the cup.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »
The Kone works beautifully in the V60.

+1.  Fits like they were made for each other.

Doesn't the Kone fit a chemex as well?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
The Kone works beautifully in the V60.

+1.  Fits like they were made for each other.

Doesn't the Kone fit a chemex as well?

Kone fits Chemex, a match made in heaven.

jano

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:02 AM »
Paper is easier to "clean up", you just toss the paper out when done.  Kone needs a rinse and once in a while minor scrubbing if you leave the coffee grounds in until the next pour.   8)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
Yes, I have been thinking of the beautiful KONE/Chemex combo for years, now, but I am afraid jano is correct on this one.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
I agree with Jano, to an extent; whatever you're brewing with, Chemex or V60, etc, will need to be cleaned too.  Granted with paper, you can follow the rinse daily/wash weekly routine.  But you can do roughly the same with a Kone.  The main difference is in getting the spent grounds from the Kone and into the garbage.  There's always some grounds remaining, even after tapping it into the garbage, which will end up in your drain.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »
I have been very pleased with my Chemex and Kone combo. I would suggest getting the able stopper for it if you plan on making more than will fit into the cup. It won't stay hot long, especially with an open top.

Cleanup is still very easy, especially when compared to an espro press:)