Author Topic: Upgrade to a Hottop or keep my Behmor  (Read 2915 times)

Offline BaconFat

• Standard User
Upgrade to a Hottop or keep my Behmor
« on: February 12, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »
I can pick up a pretty new Hottop "B" for about half price.  The owner has only roasted about 30 lbs so this thing is barely broken in.  What I'm wondering is if the roasts from a Hottop are that much better than what you can get from a Behmor 1600+.  I have really good but simple bean cooling setup so that part of the Hottop wouldn't be anything I don't already have. 

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
Re: Upgrade to a Hottop or keep my Behmor
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:07:57 PM »
If you have the cash and can get it really cheap, why not?  You can answer your own question.  After a while, just sale either one you don’t like/need.  You may have to spend some time to find the next buyer and probably some packing/transaction fees, but it shouldn’t cost a lot.   

If I don’t have the cash at hand, I won’t bother considering.   8)

johnny4lsu

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
I can pick up a pretty new Hottop "B" for about half price.  The owner has only roasted about 30 lbs so this thing is barely broken in.  What I'm wondering is if the roasts from a Hottop are that much better than what you can get from a Behmor 1600+.  I have really good but simple bean cooling setup so that part of the Hottop wouldn't be anything I don't already have.
FYI.. I wish that I would have skipped the Hottop and went straight to the Huky.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:38:32 PM »
Have you considered a bullet?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline BaconFat

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:21:31 AM »
Have you considered a bullet?

:)

What, to my head.   ???

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »
I'll answer the question.

Yes your roasts will be much better.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

GC7

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 07:17:54 AM »
If 1/2 pound roasts fit your needs and you are willing to modify by adding a bean mass thermocouple then yes your roasts will be better.

BozemanEric

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 08:40:50 AM »
If I were you, I would pick it up. If you're looking at getting it around the half-price mark you should have no trouble selling it for at least what you paid for it. The only reason I have not looked at the Hottop is because of the venting issue. If you have a Behmore already, this is not a big concern in your household. In the winter I need to roast indoors. I do not think I will ever own a roaster that does not easily vent to the outside. My next roaster you probably be of the commercial variety and permanently ducted to be outside.  And yes, I am fully aware of the hypocrisy of hating smoke smell but loving a good cigar.

Offline BaconFat

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:06:24 AM »
If 1/2 pound roasts fit your needs and you are willing to modify by adding a bean mass thermocouple then yes your roasts will be better.

That's all I ever roast because it gives me three days worth of coffee.  I keep three different batches of roasts on-hand at any one time. 

If I were you, I would pick it up. If you're looking at getting it around the half-price mark you should have no trouble selling it for at least what you paid for it. The only reason I have not looked at the Hottop is because of the venting issue. If you have a Behmore already, this is not a big concern in your household. In the winter I need to roast indoors. I do not think I will ever own a roaster that does not easily vent to the outside. My next roaster you probably be of the commercial variety and permanently ducted to be outside.  And yes, I am fully aware of the hypocrisy of hating smoke smell but loving a good cigar.

I was thinking along those lines too.  My Behmor is also still in very good condition.  If I liked the HotTop well enough, I could sell the Behmor which would help offset the cost of the HotTop.  As far as smoke and the smell goes.  I live by myself and the smoke doesn't bother me and I like the smell. 

GC7

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »
To echo what Eric mentioned- The biggest downside I've had with my HotTop is the smoke and the need to roast outdoors. Mine is insulated (thread with details here somewhere) but it is not an un-vented indoor friendly device.