Author Topic: Unique Request  (Read 2894 times)

CRG

Unique Request
« on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
Hello all -

Despite keeping a relatively low profile on the forums, I've been a member of the site for many years, purchasing green beans from the kind folks who take the time to distribute them. I've gone through a few different roasters in that time and currently use an unmodified Behmor, though I haven't exactly been thrilled with the results.

I'm thinking of making the leap to either a Hottop or perhaps even a Huky, but before doing so I'd like to sample coffee that has been roasted on either of these two machines as a comparison to what I'm using now. Certainly I could just purchase one of these roasters and test it for myself, but why go through the hassle if I cannot detect much difference in the final outcome? With that, I have a request from the community...

I'm wondering if anyone out there is willing to roast up a small batch of beans on either a Hottop, Huky or both and send them to me. Of course, I'd pay for the beans, shipping and your time. If not, no problem, but figured I'd at least ask, as I'm not acquainted with any local home roasters. By the way, I'm in the SF Bay Area in case there is someone out there local.

Thanks for reading my post.

Corwin

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Unique Request
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »
If I was you I would purchase 3 pounds of a bean.

Roast 1 pound yourself

Send 1 to a Huky man.

Send 1 pound to a Hottop man.

Synchronize roaster at the same time or however long it would take to gat back to you at a decent time. Then cup all 3 offerings.

How does that sound?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

CRG

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »
If I was you I would purchase 3 pounds of a bean.

Roast 1 pound yourself

Send 1 to a Huky man.

Send 1 pound to a Hottop man.

Synchronize roaster at the same time or however long it would take to gat back to you at a decent time. Then cup all 3 offerings.

How does that sound?

That sounds like a great idea, but just need to find a Huky man and a Hottop man.

Offline JojoS

• Standard User
  • Behmor/Eureka Mignon/Gaggia Classic
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
If only Susan kept her Hottop, you could just deal with one person. AFAIK, she moved on through it pretty quickly after giving up on her Behmor. That said, if you have the space and budget for a Huky and all it's gear, go for it. I have tasted the difference.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »
I have both HT and Huky.

I can tell you straight away the Huky is a better roaster and I'm not even dialed in on the Huky yet.

I can also tell you there are a host of problems with your idea due to enormous fluctuations in roasting conditions/practices etc..

I used a HT for several years and would have used it a ton more totally happy with it.  But then I went off and got curious and had to try the Huky.  :-\

I honestly think what you are looking at is a level up situation with Huky being the next level up from the HT with nothing else (currently) in the market without doubling/tripling the price and getting full blown "pro" roasters. There are other things out there that might be approximately the same level as the HT but I've never used them.

Either are significant upgrades from what you have now.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

CRG

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
Thanks, John and Jojo.

I understand that there are many variables at play based on what I proposed. I guess I'm just curious to experience what's possible with a more capable roaster, used the "correct" way. I have the budget and space for the Huky, so perhaps I'll go that route. I also travel to Taiwan every summer for business, so it may be worth meeting up with the builder. Could be fun!

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »
What’s your preferred roasting levels (City – Full City +) and brewing methods?  Favorite beans origin?  Maybe a local home roaster can help.

That said, the difference should be significant enough in the cup.  We’ve never heard of anyone downsizing from a HotTop/Huky back to a Behmor.  With a Behmor, you have only a few options tweaking.  Other roasters can give you better controls, but the final results are still depending on the operator, not the machine.  With several flying variables, an operator can easily kill the beans by multiple approaches.  :P

At the Huky pricing segments, there should be several other roaster builders in Taiwan.  Please keep us posted if you can make the trip.  :)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 04:35:11 AM »
That sounds like a great idea, but just need to find a Huky man and a Hottop man.

I see, with 3 different beans?

I'd like to see the comparative cupping notes for that one.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
If only Susan kept her Hottop, you could just deal with one person. AFAIK, she moved on through it pretty quickly after giving up on her Behmor. That said, if you have the space and budget for a Huky and all it's gear, go for it. I have tasted the difference.
I have Susans Hottop, would be glad to roast some for you. The idea MP had would work best. Let me know.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:07:09 AM by Mlee »
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

CRG

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 07:10:11 AM »
Thanks, Mike, and thanks to all who replied. After reading a lot on the Huky the last couple of days, I'm now thinking of placing an order for the roaster.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Thanks, Mike, and thanks to all who replied. After reading a lot on the Huky the last couple of days, I'm now thinking of placing an order for the roaster.

You are smart.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Ive had the chance to tinker with a huky from one of our members.  It's a nice setup and when you learn it VERY versatile.   I still like my Behmore because it's relatively simple, but huky is a nice step up.

Im still thinkong on that 5lb fluid bed, the artisian?  but would need to clean a place in the garage for it first.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 07:40:11 PM »
I have no use for 5lbs of coffee in one batch.

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 03:47:12 AM »
Well if you are roasting for others, or a church, or another meeting, it comes in handy John.  The machine is also capable of roasting down to 8 ounce too so you can pretty much roast what you need.   I believe the Huky is good for a pound itself.  Given the most that 'most' people say you can do in a Behmore ia 12 oz, it's a bit of a up step.  Huky gives you better control as well, more things to tweak with if you are one of those people, although the modded behmor is pretty good now as well I am told.  I might have to try one and see.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 08:35:54 AM »
Aaron, have you had coffee from the Artisan?  I haven't, but read other forums, and it seems people buy them and find they don't like the coffee.

@ the OP...  if you did conduct this test, which it sounds like you won't after all, it would be a good idea to include a 4th player, someone who has actually mastered the Behmor.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you