Author Topic: Graduating from popcorn popper and looking for advice on what to get  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Kimbalabala

• Standard User
Re: Graduating from popcorn popper and looking for advice on what to get
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »
Unless something dramatic happens in the next few minutes I'm going to order the Behmor. Decision is based on 'less' smoke (if not 'no' smoke) and price. I may graduate up to something different in a couple of years, but right now I need something that will hopefully be easier and less time-consuming. I had to drink a cup of Keurig this morning because I haven't had any time to roast beans and it wasn't pretty. It wasn't horrible, but not good ... and it wasn't 'mine'.

Thanks again for all the input. I'll let you know how I fare with it.  :D

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »
... I had to drink a cup of Keurig this morning because I haven't had any time to roast beans...

That's no way to live.  Get that thing ordered pronto!

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 04:20:51 AM »
Behmors do make smoke, regardless. Less of it, I believe, but still smoke. I roast out on my closed in porch, so a Hottop may be what I get next.

Offline MJ5150

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
I went from a modified air popcorn popper (Poplite) to a Huky. They aren't the cheapest option out there, but they are quite awesome. At least I think so.

I've had mine about two months now, and loving it still. I can't wait to get out some beans and start roasting.

-Mike

Offline wvyerbys

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »
I started roasting with a Gene Cafe and I found that it wasn't able to keep up with my weekly demands, without roasting multiple times a week. I bought my first Behmor from a club member (Susan) and have absolutely loved it. I stepped up to a Sonofresco (thanks Jim), but still have a Behmor to roast smaller batches. Would definitely recommend you go with the Behmor. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

felicepiserchia

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
I bought a used tosta caffe on eBay.it for 50$.  It's a 4lb carbon steel drum with a base, I use it on my Coleman stove, really great, and since it's unventilated drum, the coffee is about as different from a popper as can be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

donn

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
Interesting.  I looked that up and found something a little more elaborate, the Tostabar Genius https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ExJB8S76M.  I guess tosta caffè simply means "coffee roaster."  Does yours provide any way to stir the beans?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 09:07:22 AM »
That Toastabar looks like it would go in a movie theater next to the popcorn machine.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 02:39:08 PM »
Interesting.  I looked that up and found something a little more elaborate, the Tostabar Genius https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ExJB8S76M.  I guess tosta caffè simply means "coffee roaster."  Does yours provide any way to stir the beans?

It's awesome....I kinda want one. The music and the italian narration lend to instant awesome.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37