Author Topic: ROK Espresso Maker  (Read 3118 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
ROK Espresso Maker
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »
In my search for lever espresso machines I ran across this:

Click image for link.

Has anyone ever used this or have one?

Interested in knowing how well this works.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
Re: ROK Espresso Maker
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:35:59 PM »
I found some video reviews on YouTube. I had no idea the Rok was released back in fall 2013.

Based on the comments, most real coffee geeks are not impressed:
Barista Lab review
Grommet review
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:16:10 AM by rgrosz78 »
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:50:42 AM »
The reason I originally posted this was if this cheap device worked well, I would ditch my HX espresso machine and get something much smaller to pull the occasional espresso shot with.

It looks like the only good solution would be to buy an older manual lever espresso machine.

:o
lp, 7-Ski

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:36:41 AM »
The Mypressi Twist pulls pretty good shots. I keep one at work.

LMWDP #440

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:41:02 PM »
The reason I originally posted this was if this cheap device worked well, I would ditch my HX espresso machine and get something much smaller to pull the occasional espresso shot with.

It looks like the only good solution would be to buy an older manual lever espresso machine.

:o

After having a (recently rebuilt by me) Sama at my home for a small while as well as another high desire Lever machine I have come to these conclusions for myself;

1. Levers saren't for me I dont understand the appeal. this looks like worse than a lever.
2. If you are dead set on getting one, make sure you did as I did and borrow one for a time before you plunk down some serious cash for one.
3. HX is nice but I have been really happy with the Gaggia classic with ms. Silvia steam wand.- Cheaper, easier, better, etc....
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

kaotep

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »
This one has been around for a couple of years now. I think sometime around 2009-2010. I ran across this on one of the buy and sell websites.  While do not have a first hand experience with this device, a friend of mine bought one to try it out, as the seller was selling it a cheap price. 

It takes a lot of getting used to but it gives a nice shot when done right. Preheating and dumping the water is a bit cumbersome though.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »
There's a lot of charm in the older levers.  I have a La Peppina that pulls great shots.  Bought it off someone at CG or HB for $250.  Simple., no nonsense. Great eye candy for the kitchen, too.
LMWDP #440

kaotep

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
now i remember, it used to be just called "Presso Espresso".

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:25:18 PM »
After having a (recently rebuilt by me) Sama at my home for a small while as well as another high desire Lever machine I have come to these conclusions for myself;

1. Levers saren't for me I dont understand the appeal. this looks like worse than a lever.
2. If you are dead set on getting one, make sure you did as I did and borrow one for a time before you plunk down some serious cash for one.
3. HX is nice but I have been really happy with the Gaggia classic with ms. Silvia steam wand.- Cheaper, easier, better, etc....
I went from a Gaggia Classic with PID to the PVL a year ago. The shots are SO good, now I will always prefer a lever.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »

I went from a Gaggia Classic with PID to the PVL a year ago. The shots are SO good, now I will always prefer a lever.

I would like to believe you...but I think the SAMA is the same machine and frankly I'm not impressed. Just the design alone for filling the machine is not well thought out not to mention the $1000 price tag, for a manual machine seems a little like "the emperor has no clothes" type of pricing. Some of the commercial Lever machines could possibly justify a high price such as that, I would probably get into an Olympia Cremina at that price point if the espresso was "So good" as at least filling the boiler doesn't mean trapping water in the shroud. But in my limited exposure to the lever world I haven't seen the "So good" justification yet for me personally. I would love to be surprised.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 07:55:46 AM »

Sounds like some good advise Joe.

I don't however have the luxury of borrowing someone's machine that is local to me. That would certainly be the best idea to take one for a spin before plopping down big cashola on one.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 07:57:16 AM »
Have you checked out the EspressoForge - Manual Espresso Press Project on Home-Barista?  I too have a Mypressi Twist at work, but they went out of business so you'll have to look to the second-hand market if you want one.

That looks interesting.

Don't know if my better half would like the lack of "eye candy" appeal for one of those.

:-\
lp, 7-Ski

Offline CrackedBean

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 02:24:54 AM »
I have the previous version which was branded as "Presso". I like mine a lot and use it often. There are a lot of variables involved in trying to pull consistent/perfect shots, but it is also a forgiving device to use. Like other espresso machines, if you have a good grinder and fresh beans then you are well on your way to making good coffee.  I think it is ideal for someone who only occasionally makes espresso (due to economical price) or someone who prefers Americano style coffee (since a large mug will fit underneath).