Author Topic: Had It w/My Behmor  (Read 8648 times)

donn

Re: Had It w/My Behmor
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »
The split would be that some are pre-built sold as consumer products and others you have to somewhat create even if you have the recipe.

Which is identical to have electronic roast controls / vs don't have, am I right?  I guess these controls - profiles etc. - are pretty important to people who are in the market for a roaster.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
The split would be that some are pre-built sold as consumer products and others you have to somewhat create even if you have the recipe.

Which is identical to have electronic roast controls / vs don't have, am I right?  I guess these controls - profiles etc. - are pretty important to people who are in the market for a roaster.

Maybe?, I think the Behmor has some profiles. Know the new fresh roast +8 or whatever they are called now have some electronic controls, the Gene cafe roaster that Chris had there were some electronic profiling. My PID' poopery I has more customizable electronic controls than even my Sonofresco but my sonofresco has presets 1-10 that work fine for me, and now they have a control board you can buy to hook up your laptop and experiment with custom roast profiles.

The manual turn the dials of the old roasters is going away, electronics are becoming unavoidable but some obviously do it better than others.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
It's going to boil down to,  How Nerdy do you want to get,  or how Hands off do you want to get.
Some people like the push a button and not worry a heck of a lot of it path.  Others want to nuke it and play inspector gadget and be intimately involved in every second of the roasting experience.  Granted these are the pretty much extreme ends of the coffee roasting spectrum but you get my point.

Some people love to build stuff and make frankenroasters, others are not that inclined or ambitious and just want something someone else did.

The 'marketed' roasters are more towards the plug and play crowd.   The SC/TO as an example are for the home tweakers and gadgeteers.

I like my Behmor, I learned how to use it.  I have one at work that I tricked out badly, I have one at home that's just 'basic'.    I have heard others complaining about them lately, maybe the quality is suffering since they first came out, as is pretty much anything made nowadays as china takes over the QA on everything.  Maybe it's just because there Be mor of them out there, (that's for you John :) so since more are out there, there will be more with problems.  I don't know to be honest.

In this case nobody can really tell 'you' what 'you' want / need etc.  You are going to have to ultimately make that decision based on what you want to do, how much time you have etc etc.  How 'involved' do you want to get with the roasting?  To put it another way, I don't want to tell you get an ABC roaster they are great, only to have you try it, decide you don't like it, now are mad at me and it's MY fault because I told you to get it.

How old is your 'more, if its under warranty can't you send them in to get fixed or did he stop doing that?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

donn

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »
I don't want to tell people "get an ABC roaster" and then have that model turn out to be prone to failure.

We see a lot of exploration here, and stuff that works well enough to deserve some enthusiasm.  It would be great if there were some way to keep track of what really holds up to the test of time, though - people don't get tired of it and move on, it doesn't break, it keeps getting used as the main home roasting device.