Author Topic: Saeco Aroma Traditional Pump Espresso Machine  (Read 1205 times)

Shannon22

Saeco Aroma Traditional Pump Espresso Machine
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:30:42 AM »
Anybody have any input on this machine?

I right now have a superautomatic, but I really want to start pulling my own shots.  I'm looking for a good machine that is a good value.  I found one of these for $240. 

?

ButtWhiskers

Re: Saeco Aroma Traditional Pump Espresso Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »
I used one of these for about a year.  You really don't get to 'pull your own shots' as the portafilter is pressurized and you really don't get the experience of proper grinding and tamping.  After modifying the portafilter by removing the pressurizing disc, the grind and tamp made some difference, however the entire 'grouphead' does not have sufficient mass to keep a shot at anything like a consistent temperature.  If you like milk drinks, you might find that you need 3-4 extra minutes to get enough milk steamed.  There is only one boiler.  Adjusting the pressure is really not feasible other than at the filter.

That all being said, with decent homeroast espresso, you can still get a tasty beverage.  It really is not the same as a real espresso machine.

Save up a couple hundred more bucks and get you a Silvia, or similar. 

Another consideration:  when you are using a lower grade espresso machine, your grinder makes as much or more difference than the machine.  You can probably get a mazzer super jolly for $150 used at a restaurant supply store.  That would be a great first step...

Shannon22

Re: Saeco Aroma Traditional Pump Espresso Machine
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:16:17 AM »
That's good information.  I'll look into the Silvias. 

I have a Gaggia MDF grinder now, but I may consider the Super Jolly if I can get a good deal on one.

Thanks.