Author Topic: Gene Cafe Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 28235 times)

Pyment

Re: Gene Cafe: Q's and A's/Tips/Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:04 AM »
am wondering why I am taking 12 minutes to 1st crack....

I will try a couple of roasts with a Columbian I picked  tonight.

1 the new profile with preheat.
1 with cap off for the 1st 5 minutes then follow the new profile.
1 with 482 until 1st crack then dial back to 450 for the duration of the roast (my old profile)

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 11:49:07 AM »
am wondering why I am taking 12 minutes to 1st crack....

I will try a couple of roasts with a Columbian I picked  tonight.

1 the new profile with preheat.
1 with cap off for the 1st 5 minutes then follow the new profile.
1 with 482 until 1st crack then dial back to 450 for the duration of the roast (my old profile)

I am working with 230g for all roasts on the Gene.  Know the capacity is higher but working out profiles first.  I have 120volts with a Variac and a KillAWatt measuring it.

B|Java

Pyment

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 08:37:34 AM »
I did my 3 roasts last night. I am not sure that 230 grams has enough beans to generate the heat needed to maintain 1st crack.
All of the roasts took 11 minutes to 1st crack (do I see a variac in my future?) and ended at 16 minutes for a city+ roast.

With leaving the cap off for 5 minutes the temp was about 10 degrees lower than in the roasts with the cap on. I suspect that although the roast to FC timed the same, the slope in the last 6 minutes was steeper.

I will be cupping them tonight. If I can shake loose Friday, I will bring them to Peter's (With beer).

NGB is making an "Imperial Weizen" that is pretty good, I will see if I can locate more.

Pyment

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 02:13:32 PM »
I won't be going to Milwaukee this week is Cheese Days

http://cheesedays.com/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:24:11 PM by Pyment »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
I just PM'd B|Java, and suggested he refrain from opening this thread.   ;D

But thanks, Pyment, for all the ammunition!   :angel:
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Pyment

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »

I will bring 12 year old mead (a cranberry blossom "show mead") the next time I am up there. My own.

easytravel777

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »
Well Pyment CheeseDays is actually in Monroe.
Here is a little tune to help you find your way.

Come to Cheese Days in Monroe.
That?s the place for you to go.
Music, dancing, yodeling, too.
And a big parade for you.
And we know you will be pleased.
When you taste Green County Cheese.
Come to Cheese Days, come to Cheese Days,
Come to Cheese Days in Monroe!

I will be smoking some cheese this weekend. It would probably go real good with your mead.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »

I will be smoking some cheese this weekend.

How do you keep it lit?  Does it give a guy a good buzz?

Scotto

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »
I am glad to see this post come back to life.  I have been playing around with Gene Cafe roasting profiles for a long time.  It is challenging since converting the conventional wisdom relative to roasting profiles to the Gene is not simple.  Add to that the lack of ability to get a probe in the bean mass and you have a tough job.

For most roasts, I dry at between 300 and 360 degrees for about 5 minutes.  I then have an intermediate temperature of between 440 and 450 degrees for another 5 minutes and a finishing temperature of about 460 degrees until the roast ends.  This allows for several minutes of flavor development between first and second crack.  This profile gives nice body and is particularly good for City/+ roasts since it slowly builds without giving too much momentum to the roast.

I have also had decent success drying at the same rate as above, then cranking the temperature up to 480 until 1st crack +30 seconds, and then finishing at 460 degrees.  However, this profile can lead to thinner body and more residual acidity, which may or may not be what you are after.

Recently I have been playing around with longer drying times/longer times at lower temperatures, and the results have not been good.  I have also compared leaving out the intermediate temperature step in the first profile I mentioned, and the coffee suffered.

For those Gene roasters, I keep track of profiles at my blog: http://scottoscoffeeandtea.blogspot.com/

As an aside, I have a friend of mine who is a Chemical Engineer trying to work out some equations for the relationship of the environment temperature read by the Gene to the actual bean temperature.  It is definitely much lower, but I would like to have some sort of insight into it.

-Scotto

Pyment

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 04:27:12 PM »
I have compared 2 of my 3 roasts. All seem to be city+

482/450 round sweet but less acid and less complex. Comfort food.

482/431/440 much more acid, more aromatic. These tend to dominate the profile with sweetness taking a back seat. More interesting but also more likely not to please all palates. I like this better, but will everyone?

I have thought about wiring a Taylor oven guide to the central grid on the Gene, but haven't found one in town yet.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:29:28 PM by Pyment »

Scotto

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder how much variation there is Gene to Gene.  The roasts I have done ending at temperatures below 460 or so taste baked and lifeless.

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder how much variation there is Gene to Gene.  The roasts I have done ending at temperatures below 460 or so taste baked and lifeless.

Variation... Without knowing voltage, I think we will have trouble comparing profiles.

B|Java

Pyment

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
I am shooting for a city to city plus roast. If I am trying to get to full city or above I use a higher final temp. The purpose of the lower temp during first crack is to keep the roast from getting away from me and use the exothermic reaction generate the heat to carry it through 1st crack without stalling it. Then turn it up as it slows to prevent any drop in temp.

I chose a middle temp where the bottom of the temp fluctuation is still above where I would expect the internal bean temperature to be at the end of second crack.

the final temp was chosen based on what degree of roast I was shooting for.

Pyment

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 07:43:36 AM »
In retrospect, The longer roasting time on my Gene probably meant the heating unit was about to quit.  >:(

I still have my iRoar as a back up.  I will have to pull out my notes on that and get back to some profiles for that.

It does mean that I will be entering into discussions with my spouse regarding getting a new roaster (Ambex, Diedrich, US Roasters).

ButtWhiskers