Author Topic: My name is Py and I am a Geska grinder addict  (Read 4786 times)

Pyment

My name is Py and I am a Geska grinder addict
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:05:18 AM »
I need someone to save me from buying my 5th one.

I think these make great travel hand grinders. It's hopper is a little small but it is just enough for 30-32 grams. It isn't electric.

This is a pretty good price for it's condition and it's miss listed as a "tobacco grinder".

http://rurl.org/1isa

hatethis

Re: My name is Py and I am a Geska grinder addict
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:23 AM »
Get it, you seem like you like to collect them.  If you wanted a good travel one for less, look up Hario, it can handle alot more and still as portable.

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:30:03 AM »
Py,
 I may be keeping you at four.I need a good travel grinder,so I can enjoy fresh on the road.I hope it lasts for a day or so.Thanks for the heads up.
   John
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:49:02 AM »
I've also been looking at the Hario Skelton, but I may end up picking this one up. It's kinda small but it would be enough for a single cup.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:05:33 AM »
Py,
 I may be keeping you at four.I need a good travel grinder,so I can enjoy fresh on the road.I hope it lasts for a day or so.Thanks for the heads up.
   John

I've also been looking at the Hario Skelton, but I may end up picking this one up. It's kinda small but it would be enough for a single cup.

wow..I should tell that ebayer to pull the grinder and re-post as an auction... (only if they give me a cut  >:D

JoshInCA

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »
Ooooh. Pretty!  :D

IDK why, but I really like hand grinders. I only have one (a reasonably good Zass, as Zasses go), and I don't need another (especially a small one -- the Zass handles just about the right amount for my 5C stovetop Yama) --

but it really is pretty ... and eBay is so helpful -- just look at that, I could make an offer and get it for less.

I've been resisting  :angel:

Oh, won't somebody buy the blasted thing already and help a poor man hobble out of temptation's way?

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:56:03 AM »
Py,
   John
If John doesn't grab it, I'll save you py!

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
Sorry chumps ;D My Best Offer of $20 was accepted. I am a proud owner of a Geska grinder.

Thanks for the heads up PY. ;)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 01:05:59 PM »
Py,

Do you have a grinder similar to the one I just bought? Can you give me an idea of it's grinding range?

Pyment

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 01:52:28 PM »
Py,

Do you have a grinder similar to the one I just bought?

I have 3 like that. The last one I bought is in perfect condition. I thought I could stop after that.

Although, I have seen an red version of that one. I have a wooden one, but wouldn't mind another if in good shape.

The hopper comes out. The grinder is adjusted with a crew on the bottom of the hopper. I adjust it so the burs just brush for part of the turn of the handle. After that, I try not to use it without beans in it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:57:02 PM by Pyment »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
Py,

Do you have a grinder similar to the one I just bought? Can you give me an idea of it's grinding range?

about 360 degrees 

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »
Py,

about 360 degrees 

There's one in every crowd..... :P

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 02:05:26 PM »
Py,

Do you have a grinder similar to the one I just bought?

I have 3 like that. The last one I bought is in perfect condition. I thought I could stop after that.

Although, I have seen an red version of that one. I have a wooden one, but wouldn't mind another if in good shape.

The hopper comes out. The grinder is adjusted with a crew on the bottom of the hopper. I adjust it so the burs just brush for part of the turn of the handle. After that, I try not to use it without beans in it.

I'm assuming that you use your Geska for drip/press pot grinds, not espresso?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
Py,

about 360 degrees 

There's one in every crowd..... :P

It's the least I can do...   ;D  I try to do the least I can   ::)

I just got a hand grinder on ebay... (I hope its gonna work ok)  I need it for the farmers market so I got a little bigger one... I figure even if the grind isn't perfect it will be good for the pour over ... fresh roasted, fresh ground, 195 - 200 degree water will taste better than what most people had at breakfast...

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »
OK, this freaks me out a bit. I'd never even heard of, nor seen, this class of grinder.

I could have used one back in the day, though not for coffee.    ;)

How the heck do you USE the thing? I still don't get it.

Are the many variants I see on e-bay pretty much the same, or do some models work best and others suck? What?

And say, that Hario looks pretty good too.