Author Topic: mypressi TWIST: World's First Truly Portable Espresso Machine.  (Read 5730 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: mypressi TWIST: World's First Truly Portable Espresso Machine.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 07:55:50 AM »
myself included.

Hahaha..

Sugar Land is a hell of a long way from Canada and it's hot/flat out here. Anybody making that trip would have to be crazy.  ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »
Well I ordered one today..... got in on the pre-sale price.  PM me if you are interested in the promo code.

My coffee toy collection is growing...

good writeup on Coffeegeek

here is a quote from the CEO

Although it took a little longer than we'd planned, the TWIST is in production and will be shipping in November. We expect to be caught up with all pre-orders within 4 weeks, and will have plenty of stock worldwide so there will be zero future lead time.

We tested many CO2 cartridges from around the world and found some inconsistencies in their manufacture, so we only recommend the use of N2O "whipped cream" chargers. Each pressure cartridge will make up to 4 double shots, and the cost of that gas is about 1/5 to 1/10 of the actual cost of the coffee, so it doesn't add a lot to the cost of a cup.

The primary difference between the TWIST and other portable products is that there is no compromise on taste. There is plenty of thermal stability built in, it can take up to 21g of ground coffee in a 53mm basket, and you can make double or single shots quickly and simply. Just pull the trigger. However it was the quality of the espresso that gained the product awards from the SCAA and CoffeeFest. WIRED magazine also ran a comparison of all the portable products in their October issue and gave us Editor's Pick with a score of 9 out of 10.

The TWIST ships with three types of baskets:

1. 53mm 14-21g standard basket (makes some great "naked portafilter" shots as well)
   2. 53mm 14-21g pressurized basket (for coffee that isn't an optimal grind)
   3. 53mm 7g basket (for single shots and also works with ESE pods)

The package also includes an ESE pod adaptor that can be installed in a matter of seconds, so there's no need to choose between a machine that works with just ground coffee or just pods.

Finally, I would just like to state that the primary goal of the design was exceptional, uncompromising espresso. Creating espresso at 135psi across a 2" diameter basket requires some 400 pounds of total force. That's why we chose to use a pre-existing source of pressure. Achieving this required the development of a new type of pressure regulator that forms part of a very sophisticated pneumatic engine. It all works remarkably well, and is very safe, simple and easy to use. And the result is exceptional espresso.

I'm sure there'll be reviews up here soon, but feel free to contact me directly if you would like any further information.

Stephen O'Brien
CEO

Tex

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 06:53:57 PM »
I saw this in while browsing the internet today. From the website:

The mypressi TWISTâ„¢ has arrived.

No comment! ;D >:D

milowebailey

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 07:13:41 AM »
I'll do a side-by-side comparison when mine comes in.... complete with photos/video.

Tex

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 08:47:48 AM »
OK, I lied!

Be aware of the potential for abuse of N2O. It's also known as nitrous oxide (laughing gas).

milowebailey

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »
OK, I lied!

Be aware of the potential for abuse of N2O. It's also known as nitrous oxide (laughing gas).
ahhh, back in my youth we used to go to the grocery story and inhale the nitrous out of all the whipped cream cans.... then put them back in the cooler and LMAO >:D   I was a little sh$t back then...

Now I just drink coffee.... :angel:

Offline danetrainer

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »
They Demo'd it at Coffeefest Seattle, and I was impressed. Ordered one on the promo code last week and I now look forward to going out of town and have a decent espresso without taking the usual coffee shop chances! Unless of course I am in one of my favorite locations where I know I can get great espresso!

milowebailey

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 11:11:14 AM »
Here come My.....Mypressi

Edit: I think that puts me ahead of Tex again on coffee toys

Greetings,

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order.  Thanks for shopping with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Your order was shipped via UPS Ground.  Delivery estimate: December 10, 2009 - December 16, 2009
The following items were included in this shipment:
1 x mypressi TWIST portable espresso maker (MT0901A)

Report to follow

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm worried about the water temp too. I wonder if the whole business end could be dunked into hot water for a pre-heat?

How many shots is one cannister supposed to do? Cost of one cannister? Cost per shot merely for the pressure?

How about a mashup of the two? It'd be interesting if someone would create a handle that could work with either a pump OR a cannister, and a business end whose thermal properties would be something to write home about.

Then add a built-in grinder and steaming wand . . .      ;D

milowebailey

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »
Here is a good article/evaluation on home barista comparing the Mypressi with a La Marzocco (session 3 and 4).  I think with the correct technique this might prove to be a decent travel gadget :tool:

I should have mine in a day or two.

Edit: link fixed
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:41:12 AM by milowebailey »

BoldJava

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 07:38:43 AM »
Here is a good article/evaluation on home barista comparing the Mypressi with a La Marzocco (session 3 and 4).  I think with the correct technique this might prove to be a decent travel gadget :tool:

I should have mine in a day or two.

Great timing.  You are an early gate with the Handpresso.

B|Java

milowebailey

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »

Great timing.  You are an early gate with the Handpresso.

Yes!

djangokim

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 08:20:48 AM »
Can you guys fly on an airplane with those little gas cartridges?
I've heard they're not allowed on airplanes, checked or carryon altogether.

milowebailey

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »

Seems the answer is Yes

Here is the TSA site

Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)     Carry-on - Yes    Checked baggage - Yes

Edit:  I found this link, so the answer is yes hmmm still don't know... I'll call and find out
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:31:52 AM by milowebailey »

Tex

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »

N2O is neither flammable or explosive, but that's no guarantee DHS doesn't have a rule against it.