Author Topic: A question for engineers & other deep-thinkers.  (Read 2682 times)

Tex

A question for engineers & other deep-thinkers.
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:41:01 PM »
A friend has a 1-group Nuova Simonelli  Mac Cup automatic with a fried brain box. She doesn't want to spring for new electronics (~$700), and she wants me to convert it to a semi-auto; plus she'd like me to convert it from a rotary pump to a vibe pump for weight savings (she drags it around to lots of
charity functions).

I did this mod for a Bunn ES-1A and it wasn't too difficult - IIRC, $130 for the parts to make up an auto fill circuit & ~$100 for a vibe pump with an adjustable OPV on it. A lot cheaper than a new brain box!

I believe the 7 liter boiler capacity could cause damage to the vibe pump if it's relied on it to fill the boiler (it's drained after every gig). The Mac Cup has a manual fill valve on it, so it can be filled with fresh water using the line pressure. But I'm not sure I trust this user to remember to do this.

Can anyone suggest a way to set a timer on the vibe pump circuit to interrupt it if the pump is run for too long (maybe 45 seconds??) and then automatically reset itself for the next shot?  This would give the users time enough to pull shots and hopefully the shutting off of the pump would remind them to use the manual fill function when its empty.

Or some other way to remind the user that the vibe pump isn't for filling the boiler?

???

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: A question for engineers & other deep-thinkers.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:03:22 AM »
A friend has a 1-group Nuova Simonelli  Mac Cup automatic with a fried brain box. She doesn't want to spring for new electronics (~$700), and she wants me to convert it to a semi-auto; plus she'd like me to convert it from a rotary pump to a vibe pump for weight savings (she drags it around to lots of
charity functions).

I did this mod for a Bunn ES-1A and it wasn't too difficult - IIRC, $130 for the parts to make up an auto fill circuit & ~$100 for a vibe pump with an adjustable OPV on it. A lot cheaper than a new brain box!

I believe the 7 liter boiler capacity could cause damage to the vibe pump if it's relied on it to fill the boiler (it's drained after every gig). The Mac Cup has a manual fill valve on it, so it can be filled with fresh water using the line pressure. But I'm not sure I trust this user to remember to do this.

Can anyone suggest a way to set a timer on the vibe pump circuit to interrupt it if the pump is run for too long (maybe 45 seconds??) and then automatically reset itself for the next shot?  This would give the users time enough to pull shots and hopefully the shutting off of the pump would remind them to use the manual fill function when its empty.

Or some other way to remind the user that the vibe pump isn't for filling the boiler?

???

I'm a very practical person in situations like this... I would get out my P-Touch label maker and put stickers all over that thing... step by step reminders on how to use it.... not very pretty but if you word it right it could be funny as well as functional...

Tex

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
charity functions).

???

I'm a very practical person in situations like this... I would get out my P-Touch label maker and put stickers all over that thing... step by step reminders on how to use it.... not very pretty but if you word it right it could be funny as well as functional...

Reminds me of a software package we had installed. The project manager told the users that if they ever get confused about what to do, all they had to do was push the ALT/PF1 key at the same time.

That brought up a message that said, "When all else fails, read the *%#! manual!"

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:14:38 AM »
let me google that for you

Swapping the pumps was a cinch, but I couldn't find any help for putting a timer on the pump's circuit. I'll call my electronics supplier on Tuesday - I'm sure they've got something on their shelves that'll do the trick.

Thanks for your help.  :)

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:13 AM »

Swapping the pumps was a cinch, but I couldn't find any help for putting a timer on the pump's circuit. I'll call my electronics supplier on Tuesday - I'm sure they've got something on their shelves that'll do the trick.

Put a milowidget on it with PID for temp and timer for the motor....  ;D

Tex

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »

Put a milowidget on it with PID for temp and timer for the motor....  ;D

That'd do it, all right! But I think I'll look for something like the ol' reliable 555.  ;)

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »

Thanks for your help.  :)

Put a milowidget on it with PID for temp and timer for the motor....  ;D

That'd do it, all right! But I think I'll look for something like the ol' reliable 555.  ;)

Yep a one-shot timer would work fine, the tricky part is a trigger for it... the pump is 120 v a/c and the timer 5 vdc... you will need an opto-isolator to trigger the 555 and then a Triac to turn the pump off.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »

That'd do it, all right! But I think I'll look for something like the ol' reliable 555.  ;)

Yep a one-shot timer would work fine, the tricky part is a trigger for it... the pump is 120 v a/c and the timer 5 vdc... you will need an opto-isolator to trigger the 555 and then a Triac to turn the pump off.

So, how long will it take for you to widget that up?  ;D

Tex

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »

SmartA$$.

:)

Why are you taking shots at peter for being his usual helpful self?  ;)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 12:06:32 PM »
Why are you taking shots at peter for being his usual helpful self?  ;)

Yeah ... that's it ... helpful!

:-\
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »

So, how long will it take for you to widget that up?  ;D

generally it's up now.. I have it interfaced with the Alpenrost, and the Hottop.  Now it's just a matter of software for the roast profiles...

no matter what you use, you will have to interface with the hardware... that almost always means disigning hardware too.  Although for the espresso machine it would allow you to control everything with one widget...

Tex

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »

So, how long will it take for you to widget that up?  ;D

generally it's up now.. I have it interfaced with the Alpenrost, and the Hottop.  Now it's just a matter of software for the roast profiles...

no matter what you use, you will have to interface with the hardware... that almost always means disigning hardware too.  Although for the espresso machine it would allow you to control everything with one widget...

What's that I heard? Want something done ask a maintenance man; want something over-done, ask an injunear!

;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:08:51 PM by Tex »