Author Topic: Craigs list find  (Read 1539 times)

doveguy1

Craigs list find
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »
what do you think

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Craigs list find
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »
Well... it looks neat, but without knowing anything else about it, ie what powers it, gas / electric,  how many watts / btu's , capacity, drum speed, etc.  Id have to caution to be careful on it.

AAron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

doveguy1

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:38:12 PM »
I have done 3.8 lbs to full city in 12 minutes with ½ gas. It is propane and the drum speed is 30 rpm, it works well. I am fitting it with a digital thermometer with an alarm.  Have made a stand out of a tool caddy and added a maple top. Still working on the finish

The other pix is a bean cooler that is in the works with a 1/3 hp motor that runs at 1725 rpm and a 14 inch fan from an AC condenser. I had a rig set up using a box fan with a perforated pizza pan, but the motor die quickly, I feel because of the heat. With this design the motor is out of the heat. On top I will mount a 60 RPM motor to stir the beans as they cool, not sure maybe 60 rpm is too fast. The shell is a Craig’s list 15.00 beer keg that I have cut up, I have found a blade from a jet engine that cut down will work nicely for an agitator to stair the beans. A couple more weekends and it will be running

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
Prolly been posted, but just in case, you can make a very efficient bean cooler cheaply:
5 gallon bucket with lid
Steel bowl
$20 small shop vac

Cut a hole in the lid of a size to snugly fit the bowl
drill many 1/8 inch holes in the bottom of the bowl
cut a hole in the side of the bucket a few inches from the bottom of the bucket, just large enough so the shop vac hose will fit snugly

Turn it on just before you're ready to dump beans....

doveguy1

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:53:46 AM »
wasn't looking to be cheap but bullet proof, and to satisfy my obsessive behavior, and if you use  plastic you don’t get to do macho stuff like welding and grinding
 ;D ;D

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:08 AM »
actually doveguy, if you use plastic, not only do you STILL get to do manly stuff, like welding and grinding, but you get the EXTRA benefit of using a fire extinguisher too.   How can you top that?
 ;D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:29:56 AM »
actually doveguy, if you use plastic, not only do you STILL get to do manly stuff, like welding and grinding, but you get the EXTRA benefit of using a fire extinguisher too.   How can you top that?
 ;D

Aaron

exactly what he said....

I used a car vent fan set up that looks like yours... on a 5 gal bucket..  I have colanders that fit perfect on the bucket but I think I will out grow that with my new BBQ roaster...  so I am curious how you end up stirring the beans and keeping them out of the bean launcher fan... 

if I keep the bucket as the plenum and make a bigger cooling tray to fit on top then I will definitely make a shroud to direct the beans air to a 6 or 8 inch duct so I can vent it out side

I think I will be getting a sheet of perforated steel for part of the drum so maybe I will go that wrought... I like the jet engine agitators... its always cool when your recyclables have a good story behind them...

maybe you want the 60 rpm in the roaster and the 30 on the cooler???

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »
are those mosquito bites, wow did they lump up???

No, urr, I accidentally poured peaberry into my bean cooler  ;D ;D

Aaron

doveguy1

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
 ;D

Aaron

exactly what he said....

I used a car vent fan set up that looks like yours... on a 5 gal bucket..  I have colanders that fit perfect on the bucket but I think I will out grow that with my new BBQ roaster...  so I am curious how you end up stirring the beans and keeping them out of the bean launcher fan... 

if I keep the bucket as the plenum and make a bigger cooling tray to fit on top then I will definitely make a shroud to direct the beans air to a 6 or 8 inch duct so I can vent it out side

I think I will be getting a sheet of perforated steel for part of the drum so maybe I will go that wrought... I like the jet engine agitators... its always cool when your recyclables have a good story behind them...

maybe you want the 60 rpm in the roaster and the 30 on the cooler???

The roaster is worling great, I too think maybe a 60 rpm, but my grand da said if it ar't broke don't fix it. The 60 RPM motor I had from my 1lb BBQ roster that is being put out of service, It a couple weeks, will post more pix

ktulu64

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »
I have found a blade from a jet engine that cut down will work nicely for an agitator to stair the beans.

umm...careful your shrouded turbofan bean cooler does not take off

bulletproof - whose got a Howitzer?  :D

doveguy1

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 10:17:36 PM »
Sig Elite 45 bi tone wood grips

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »
I have found a blade from a jet engine that cut down will work nicely for an agitator to stair the beans.

umm...careful your shrouded turbofan bean cooler does not take off

bulletproof - whose got a Howitzer?  :D

good point... I may have to bolt it down..... or it will take off like one of those defective 4th of July pinwheels....  :-X