Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 123105 times)

jspain

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
AmishMenno,

I've read you post in the two threads that you posted your message. I have had a two pound Sono for about 15 months now and love it. Batch size is an issue but I roast a lot of greens and the biggest issue for me the 2# Sono isn't big enough at times. On samples I roast in my Behmor or IRoast2.

I hear your issue on liking the HT better than the 1# Sono. What I have found is that with some varieties the Behmor does a better job than the Sono but on some the Sono does better than the Behmor. The Sono does a GREAT job on the naturals..... I have actually done blind testing with friends and church members with greens roasted in a drum and a fluid air bed. MOST people can't tell a difference.

Value came into play with me when I bought my 2# Sono and for less than half the cost of a YM-2 the Sono is a great value. Good luck making your decision. I had a tough time when I was deciding and I am happy with my Sono. If my roasting grows much more I may have to buy a bigger drum and have one of each! Wouldn't that "Be the Berries!"  Jim

Igrind

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2011, 08:51:10 PM »

Batch size was exactly why I sold my Sono and bought a Hottop. Funny thing is, I'm liking the coffee from the HT so much I'm roasting twice a week, which is more than the capacity of one batch on the Sono.

So maybe batch size wasn't the problem: Maybe the Sono just didn't roast that well? No slam intended - I'm serious.

I have a HT and was thinking to go to the Sono but after reading this -- it sounds like I would be going backwards. So, I better look into an expensive drum roaster if I want to upgrade from the HT. Good to hear all the comments, good and not so good.

For me it came down to this.  If I was roasting only for myself, I would have liked the control of profile that the HT offers that the Sono does not.  However, I roast about a hundred pounds a month for family, friends, co-workers, friends of friends, etc.  There is no way I could have gotten that quantity through a HT in the short amount of time that I have to roast every month.  That said, the Sono does a nice job of roasting, no doubt about it.  The only thing lacking is some profile control for those beans that require a little "something extra" to bring out the best in them.  Someday, I may own a big drum roaster.  But, for now, the Sono is a real workhorse that roasts a pretty nice batch of beans. 

Just my .02

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:02 PM »
For me it came down to this.  If I was roasting only for myself, I would have liked the control of profile that the HT offers that the Sono does not.  However, I roast about a hundred pounds a month for family, friends, co-workers, friends of friends, etc.  There is no way I could have gotten that quantity through a HT in the short amount of time that I have to roast every month.  That said, the Sono does a nice job of roasting, no doubt about it.  The only thing lacking is some profile control for those beans that require a little "something extra" to bring out the best in them.  Someday, I may own a big drum roaster.  But, for now, the Sono is a real workhorse that roasts a pretty nice batch of beans. 

Just my .02

Did you get a 1# or 2# Sono?
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.

yankeeNH

« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2011, 03:59:42 AM »
I'll add my 2 cents here too. I've had my 2 lbs. Sono about the same amount of time as jspain (15 mos.) and I agree, there are times I wish I had more capacity. I just bought the Sono sample roaster too so I could get an accurate representation of what the 2 pounder would produce with samples from importers.

This much is true from the Sono: I agree with jspain--it does an amazing job with naturals--great clarity of those varietal fruit notes--but definitely likes a harder bean. I've had trouble with some Brazils--it seems the profile is a little aggressive for some. Bottom line on the Sono: since we don't currently have profile control (and my hope for the Milowidget is all but gone) and Sono hasn't added it yet (though they admit now there is a market for it and are looking at it), you have to choose your coffees for the roaster, rather than adjust your profile for the coffee. It's a workaround, yes, but there are plenty of coffees out there that shine on the Sono.

Igrind

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »

Just my .02

Did you get a 1# or 2# Sono?

I've got the 1# model. Currently have a deal for another 1 pounder in the works.

mattquist

« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
So.....

My roast chamber is starting to crack at the top.   It's still useable for now, but it's days are limited.  Has anyone found a more reasonable option than the $230 glass one from sonofresco?  Has anyone sourced out something more durable, such as an aluminum tube, etc.?

jspain

« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »
So.....

My roast chamber is starting to crack at the top.   It's still useable for now, but it's days are limited.  Has anyone found a more reasonable option than the $230 glass one from sonofresco?  Has anyone sourced out something more durable, such as an aluminum tube, etc.?

mattquist,

Is your chamber that is cracking the older "thinner" glass chamber? I have the new thicker chamber and have roasted a ton over the last two year with her and no problems. If your cracked one is the older model then upgrading even at the high cost may be a good value for you?

I have not had to replace mine thus no comparisons or suggestions on an alternative. Good luck!  Jim

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:54 PM »
So.....

The whole point of a sonofresco of watching the beans roast is lost with a solid chamber. But it has been done. I had a cracked glass and it worked for a long time, Chef Glenn has it now and I think he probably hasn't changed out the chamber.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Tex

« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
I didn't like the glass so I had a sheet metal shop give me a quote on making one from aluminum. No surprise, getting a custom roast chamber made was more than what 3 new chambers cost. But I was still tossing the idea around until I sold my Sono.

Every time I'd go to the big box stores I'd look at those one-gallon cans of jalapenos and wonder??

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
I didn't like the glass so I had a sheet metal shop give me a quote on making one from aluminum. No surprise, getting a custom roast chamber made was more than what 3 new chambers cost. But I was still tossing the idea around until I sold my Sono.

Every time I'd go to the big box stores I'd look at those one-gallon cans of jalapenos and wonder??

that's exactly what some people have done, they used a tin coffee can most likely and put it place of the glass.

Tex

« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2011, 03:00:23 PM »

that's exactly what some people have done, they used a tin coffee can most likely and put it place of the glass.

If you knew someone who worked in an institutional kitchen I imagine you could eventually find the perfect size can. Then you could just remove the glass and pop in the can.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »

If you knew someone who worked in an institutional kitchen I imagine you could eventually find the perfect size can. Then you could just remove the glass and pop in the can.

I would consider only replacing it with the original glass insert. I would only use a tin can until it arrives. If you have some tin cutters and a riveter you could fashion a temp fix pretty quickly.

mattquist

« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
Dang, you guys are fast at the replys!!

I have the original glass chamber.  I think I chipped it on the mushroom bolts from the chaff collector.  I don't really care about watching the beans dance and had thought about the tin can method, but that just seemed like an awful lot of canned peaches and Green Beans to find the right size. 

I was also wondering if a metal canister/tube might make for a good medium to install a bean probe temp right through the side and into the mass of beans.  Thought it might help dial in ending the roast manually...

jspain

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2011, 05:52:54 AM »

I have the original glass chamber.  I think I chipped it on the mushroom bolts from the chaff collector.  I don't really care about watching the beans dance and had thought about the tin can method, but that just seemed like an awful lot of canned peaches and Green Beans to find the right size.  

I was also wondering if a metal canister/tube might make for a good medium to install a bean probe temp right through the side and into the mass of beans.  Thought it might help dial in ending the roast manually...

I'm like Joe. I'd only replace with a glass chamber. The newer thicker glass chambers are strong! I must admit the thought of a temp probe is tempting..... I'm so use to knowing the green I'm roasting and the roast setting that a temp probe would be nice, but after one or two roasts of any green I'm dialed in. After two years of a 2# Sono and not being one that likes complication, I'm still very happy with my roaster. Simple, fast, reliable..... fits my needs very well at a good cost!  jim
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:35:28 AM by jspain »

Tex

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2011, 08:07:47 AM »

I have the original glass chamber.  I think I chipped it on the mushroom bolts from the chaff collector.  I don't really care about watching the beans dance and had thought about the tin can method, but that just seemed like an awful lot of canned peaches and Green Beans to find the right size. 

I was also wondering if a metal canister/tube might make for a good medium to install a bean probe temp right through the side and into the mass of beans.  Thought it might help dial in ending the roast manually...

I looped a bead-end 30 AWG type K thermocouple lead over the top of the glass, and weighted it to stay in contact with the beans until they began bouncing around. After that the accuracy of any temperature measurement is questionable because the t/c tip is exposed to air as much as it is touching the beans.

That's one area milo could help Sono owners; a gadget to control blower speed & volume. Not as useful as a miolwidget would've been, this would give you some alternative profiles by controlling air movement, which is heat control of sorts.