Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 125782 times)

jspain

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »
I was more concerned with being able to roast smaller batches possibly. I guess I could do that in the Behmor but I am sure the Sonofresco would have me spoiled.
What is considered a good price for a used one? I found one that the owner wants $1600 for without a hood. The last one on ebay went for $1500 with hood if I remember correctly.

Everything is relevent. Condition, age, add ons (hood), will all determine price. 1# unit or 2# unit?  The 1# units new are $2500, the 2# unit $3500. That does not include the hood. I direct vent mine outside so no need for a hood. I've seen 1# units for $1000-$2000..... jim

1981er

« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
Well,  I'll soon be the proud owner of one of these units!  It should ship out today and I'll be roasting mid week next week.

Are those of you venting from indoors using the nat gas or propane model? 

Also, anyone ordered greens from them?  Looks like they have a good amount of single origins offered, although there's no crop/ farm info.

Tex

« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2011, 02:27:50 PM »
Well,  I'll soon be the proud owner of one of these units!  It should ship out today and I'll be roasting mid week next week.

Also, anyone ordered greens from them?  Looks like they have a good amount of single origins offered, although there's no crop/ farm info.

I'd order greens from them if the sent free/cheap samples. The descriptors they provide seem sorta vague to me, so everything would have to be cupped by lots.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:31:48 PM by Tex »

jspain

« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2011, 03:45:37 PM »

1981er,

I use propane. Works great. I'd buy my greens somewhere else. I agree with Tex! Here at the club or several vendors that can be found in the discussions here at the club. Have fun with the Sono!  Jim

Tex

« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »
Which types of coffee work best in a Sono - wet/dry processed, regions?

1981er

« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
Hopefully I'll be roasting tonight....  For anyone not wanting to throw a ~$3k lump sum down, Sono has a 0% financing deal going on their roasters..

I have a few 20# propane tanks, but I'm curious if anyone has ran a SF on a one of those small (2#?) green Coleman propane tanks?

jspain

« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
Hopefully I'll be roasting tonight....  For anyone not wanting to throw a ~$3k lump sum down, Sono has a 0% financing deal going on their roasters..

I have a few 20# propane tanks, but I'm curious if anyone has ran a SF on a one of those small (2#?) green Coleman propane tanks?

I have never run mine on less than a 20#er. I have 3 at home. One for the grill, one for the roaster and one as a spare when one runs out!  Jim

milowebailey

« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
I'm sure the small tanks would work fine as long as you have a regulator and the correct fittings.  I used to use a 5 gallon take (BBQ tank) and it would typically last 20 or 30 roasts, so the small tanks I would assume you'd get a few roast out of them.  Give it a try, all you have to loose is 1.2 lbs of green.

1981er

« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
Do you need to buy a regulator or does the Sono come with a hose, etc?

Tex

« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »

Sono's sell new on eBay for $2495. I saw their interest free offer: $1000+S&H down and $250 a month for 6 months, but didn't see the offer you mention?

1981er

« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2011, 05:12:27 PM »
ah, that's the same one... Sorry, I didn't note the initial payment.

milowebailey

« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2011, 07:13:21 AM »
Do you need to buy a regulator or does the Sono come with a hose, etc?
You will need to buy one, unless the person you bought it from throws it in as part of the deal.  But you can go to any big box hardware store and buy a BBQ regulator.  Or go to a propane store and buy a good one.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
They told me it was included in the propane conversion kit. I guess it doesn't come with a propane version though.

Tex

« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2011, 07:33:07 AM »
They told me it was included in the propane conversion kit. I guess it doesn't come with a propane version though.

Who's they?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2011, 07:34:51 AM »

Who's they?

Sorry, Sonofresco told me this when I asked about pressure regulation for the propane.