Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 126023 times)

Tex

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #195 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
I was planning on venting through the wall directly behind mine.

I'd at least install a carbon monoxide detector - that's some nasty shit!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:30:30 PM by Tex »

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »
Oh, I plan on it. Been there done that and had the CO hangover!

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2011, 04:48:26 AM »
I'm in the process of buying a 1 lb. propane-type Sonofresco and am planning the location for it in my garage.  I will be venting it through the outside wall - about a 2 to 3 foot run.  Has anyone had issues with local requirements for permits, etc. for doing this kind of installation?  My inclination is toward just not asking the town because I probably won't like the answer.  On the other hand, I really don't want to violate any local codes and have trouble later. 

Also, any homeowners' insurance considerations that I should be thinking about - like telling my insurance company so they can increase my rates?
Bob Feuker

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2011, 05:25:44 AM »
The venting may not be the biggest issue. Storing the propane tank indoors might be though.

What kind of venting setup are you thinking?

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2011, 05:27:08 AM »
The act of making a permanent installation ( exhaust ducting through the wall of the garage) would require the homeowner to obtain the necessary permits and insurance riders ( for homeowners) to protect against fire/liability, correct?

However, in my view, utilizing a cart with no permanent location (no exhaust ducting through the garage wall, instead a length of ducting that can be located wherever and temporarily hung) should be treated as any personal "kitchen appliance" and allow you to avoid conflicts with local laws.  Insurance riders would then be at the owners discretion.  Correct?

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
I guess I will have to ask my contractor and see if there is anything I need to address before installing my hood in the garage.

Tex

« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2011, 06:34:07 AM »
When I had my range hood installed to vent through the ceiling no permitting was necessary. Call your city's building inspector - they'll give you the correct info, and probably advise you about how to do it.

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »
I am sure Jspain will post soon but he has his Sono in his heated garage.  Its vented through the wall will regular cheap gas vent pipe.  Seems to work great.
Ringo
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

jspain

« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »
I am sure Jspain will post soon but he has his Sono in his heated garage.  Its vented through the wall will regular cheap gas vent pipe.  Seems to work great.
Ringo

Ringo has seen my Sono in action several times before. I use regular metal dryer venting that goes through an outside window. It's actually not through the wall. I vented out the window and insulated around the opening. I live in the country and I have no issues with building codes or city regs. My vent pipe does get hot but is not against anything flamable. If you live in a city or populated area I'd check for codes and for any regs and permits needed. If I was going through a wall I'd suggest insulated pipe and not just dryer venting.  Hope that helps?  Jim

Tex

« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »
Ringo

Ringo has seen my Sono in action several times before. I use regular metal dryer venting that goes through an outside window. It's actually not through the wall. I vented out the window and insulated around the opening. I live in the country and I have no issues with building codes or city regs. My vent pipe does get hot but is not against anything flamable. If you live in a city or populated area I'd check for codes and for any regs and permits needed. If I was going through a wall I'd suggest insulated pipe and not just dryer venting.  Hope that helps?  Jim

And I'm sure you've installed UL approved carbon monoxide detectors to CYA?

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »

[/quote]

That is very helpful, thanks.  I'm leaning toward buying the venting kit from Sonofresco.  I will also pick up a CO detector for the garage.  There is a small door right next to the spot where I plan to put th eunit.  Except on the coldest days, I will probably have that door open whime I'm roasting.

I live in NJ, the most densely populated state in the U.S. I'm told.  Also one of the most highly taxed.  I'm pretty sure if I just ask the town building inspector one question it wil;l cost me a couple of hundred bucks for a permit, plan review, and inspections.
Bob Feuker

jspain

« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
Ringo

Nope! It's in an out building where I store my equipment and roast. No Carbon Mono detector, no UL approved anything. I always vent the shop when I roast and I never leave the building area when I'm roasting. Just the good old redneck installation, but works well for "my set-up." jim

Tex

« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
Ringo

Nope! It's in an out building where I store my equipment and roast. No Carbon Mono detector, no UL approved anything. I always vent the shop when I roast and I never leave the building area when I'm roasting. Just the good old redneck installation, but works well for "my set-up." jim

Gotta love redneck solutions!

Redneck 911 Call

jspain

« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
Yep, I'm home this week hunting. When did you get my picture?  :o 

1981er

« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
Anyone using the Sono with an electric generator and if so any recs?

BTW I'm about 30 roasts in with a wide variety of beans and one of my fave so far is Klatch's FTO Mex Union.

Anyone with favorite beans from the known suppliers (SM, Klatch, Shrub)?  I'd like to try some of the shrub beans but based on the fact that some beans do better than others I'm wary of buying 30# + of a bean I might not be happy with.