Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 125873 times)

jspain

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
My new Sonofesco is about ready to go.  Parts are soaking in Cafiza today while I'm at work and I should get down to some serious roasting tomorrow. 

My first project is to roast 5# of the El Salvador Cerro de Las Ranos "for the troops".  My plan is to start with 20 ounces and use setting 4.  If anyone has any other thoughts/ideas on getting the first few roasts under my belt please share them.

Sounds like a good place to start with a 1# machine! I have roasted quite a bit of Las Ranos and I use #4 setting. Have fun!  jim

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »
Choose a higher setting and just cut the gas when you get to the right spot in the roast. Everything else is easy :)

+1

Since all profiles are the same, only the end temp is critical. You can pick any of the higher programs and simply roast by sound. But, I've found it's easier to drop a type K bead-end thermocouple into the lower third of the gyrating bean mass and roast to a temp.

Are first and second crack fairly easy to hear on this roaster?  I've only used a Behmor before and never (intentionally) went more than a few seconds into 2nd.

I will note that thermocouple idea for future reference after I get some experience with this bad boy.

Bob Feuker

jspain

« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Bob,

The cracks are harder to hear. Some greens and especially decaf you can't hardly hear at all. You'll learn by doing!  jim

Tex

« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »
Choose a higher setting and just cut the gas when you get to the right spot in the roast. Everything else is easy :)

+1

Since all profiles are the same, only the end temp is critical. You can pick any of the higher programs and simply roast by sound. But, I've found it's easier to drop a type K bead-end thermocouple into the lower third of the gyrating bean mass and roast to a temp.

Are first and second crack fairly easy to hear on this roaster?  I've only used a Behmor before and never (intentionally) went more than a few seconds into 2nd.

I will note that thermocouple idea for future reference after I get some experience with this bad boy.

They might be if I hadn't shot guns all my life, ending up a mite deaf. That's why I use a digital thermometer. Say, didn't some genius have a bean microphone for sale?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2011, 11:38:33 AM »

+1

Actually, I found it to be pretty close to the behmor if not a tad louder for 1st crack. You have to get your ear level to the top of the exhaust exit. Listening down near the glass doesn't reveal as much.

milowebailey

« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »
I could never hear 1st or 2nd crack when I had the sono... but I had it in the corner of a room with windows, so the blower was amplified.  I always went by color and temperature (I put a thermocouple down in the bean mass).  That was one thing I didn't like about the sono....

1981er

« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »

+1

You'd run it between the chaff collector and roasting chamber?  I have a TC that I place a few inches from the SF sensor.  Doesn't get the into the bean mass but is pretty consistent.  My roasts usually end at 425-435F on the TC which is similar to temps I was stopping at on a Primo.

Tex

« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »

+1

You'd run it between the chaff collector and roasting chamber?  I have a TC that I place a few inches from the SF sensor.  Doesn't get the into the bean mass but is pretty consistent.  My roasts usually end at 425-435F on the TC which is similar to temps I was stopping at on a Primo.

Yep, just loop it over the glass and let it extend into the bean mass. You'll notice a section in the roast chamber where the agitation is less pronounced; that's where I put mine.

yankeeNH

« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »
I find it depends on the bean. My Mexico is ideal: it has a beautiful long and loud first crack. :-)

Oddly enough, if I'm really not sure and that magical 7:50-8:30 time window isn't producing anything I'm hearing, I just step outside and listen to the exhaust side. The cracking is *really* noticeable out there!

I could never hear 1st or 2nd crack when I had the sono... but I had it in the corner of a room with windows, so the blower was amplified.  I always went by color and temperature (I put a thermocouple down in the bean mass).  That was one thing I didn't like about the sono....

yankeeNH

« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2011, 03:30:49 PM »

+1

Yep, just loop it over the glass and let it extend into the bean mass. You'll notice a section in the roast chamber where the agitation is less pronounced; that's where I put mine.

Any suggestions for which thermocouple to get?

yankeeNH

« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »
Maybe off topic here, but does anyone else here use the Roastmaster iPad/iPhone app? It's pretty robust in feature set which can also be a little daunting on the learning curve, but the basic function is straight forward. I love it and track everything I roast on it, and I find the inventory feature invaluable--worth the price of the app itself.

Tex

« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

+1

Any suggestions for which thermocouple to get?

I use bead-end Omega type K t/c's for roasters.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »
Maybe off topic here, but does anyone else here use the Roastmaster iPad/iPhone app? It's pretty robust in feature set which can also be a little daunting on the learning curve, but the basic function is straight forward. I love it and track everything I roast on it, and I find the inventory feature invaluable--worth the price of the app itself.
I have been using it for the past 80 roasts. Works well but I want a bit more.
Inventory lacks the most for me. No place for cost or ability to share with friends.

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »
Finished my first few roasts with my new used Sono today.  I am very happy with this machine!  I did 5# of El Salvador greens - 1/2 at setting 5 and 1/2 at setting 6.  Results look great, very consistent in color.  I don't see a big difference between those done on 5 and those done on 6.  Is this about right?  One notch up or down brings only a subtle difference in the result.  I would call the 5 Full City and the 6 not quite Full City +.

I was able to hear 1st crack on all four roasts, but only heard 2nd on one of the 6's less than 10 seconds before the end (it may not have happened at all on setting 5 I'm thinking).

I won't get to taste the results from this group.  These 5#'s are going to a U.S. Army unit from Fort Drum serving in Afghanistan.  All indications are that the coffee would be real gooood  :)

Bob Feuker

jspain

« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2011, 02:21:38 PM »
Finished my first few roasts with my new used Sono today.  I am very happy with this machine!  I did 5# of El Salvador greens - 1/2 at setting 5 and 1/2 at setting 6.  Results look great, very consistent in color.  I don't see a big difference between those done on 5 and those done on 6.  Is this about right?  One notch up or down brings only a subtle difference in the result.  I would call the 5 Full City and the 6 not quite Full City +.

I was able to hear 1st crack on all four roasts, but only heard 2nd on one of the 6's less than 10 seconds before the end (it may not have happened at all on setting 5 I'm thinking).

I won't get to taste the results from this group.  These 5#'s are going to a U.S. Army unit from Fort Drum serving in Afghanistan.  All indications are that the coffee would be real gooood  :)

Bob,

My understanding is that voltage at your location can play a role in the setting you need to set to get the results you want, and the Temp sensor comes into play. If the sensor is older, slightly dirty, etc., then it will also effect the setting needed. I will admit I prefer lighter roasts on most greens. Sometimes I do go to #5 on a Sumatra, espresso roast, etc., but generally I'm at #4.....

BTW, THANK YOU for roasting for the troops!!!!!!!!!!!!! 40# went to the combat zone to 8 different units 10 days ago. I just got confirmation that one has gotten there! Coffee for Christmas!!!! jim